We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montpellier or Marseille?

Which Montpellier hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
Montpellier or Marseille?

Bonjour a tous!

My friend and I (both 20 yrs old) are planning an educational trip to France for this summer (2012). We are going to take a french language course for a month (July) and we ended up with these two options, Montpellier and Marseille. We will also combine this educational trip with our summer holidays, so we are looking for the ultimate destination!

We actually want to spend a great month, in a very nice coastal city, with nice beaches, (water) sports-activities, good restaurants, joyful- vivant atmosphere, good nightlife and generally to have lots of fun!

So, Montpellier or Marseille? Your opinion really counts!

Thanks a lot :)

P.S we are travelling with a student's budget :)

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
reviews: 22
1. Re: Montpellier or Marseille?

Given your age, I would possibly choose Montpellier which is very much a student type city with a large university. Ok so it will the their summer vacations, but there is still plenty to do. Accommodation should not be hard to find.

But the beaches are a few miles away, the city is a little bit inland, so you will need to factor in the cost of bus fares etc.

It's many years since I have been to Marseille, but I remember a large, busy and very much a working city with sprawling docks and industry. I also remember some popular beaches to the south of the city centre.

Boston...
2. Re: Montpellier or Marseille?

Thanks a bunch!!

Ireland
reviews: 34
3. Re: Montpellier or Marseille?

Montpellier wins, hands down. Have a great time.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
reviews: 4
4. Re: Montpellier or Marseille?

Montpellier would be my choice between the two but I would suggest studying here over either of those two locations:

http://www.institutdefrancais.com/

Pezenas, France
reviews: 53
5. Re: Montpellier or Marseille?

I live near Montpellier - and I visit Marseille often, - I love both cities, Marseille has a raw energy I like and a lot of activity, but it not to everybody's taste - Montpellier is less intensive and more bourgeois - it is also serves a big gay community - but for study, language schools etc perhaps Montpellier is better, good beaches only a bus ride away, and good train communications to other areas - although this is true of Marseille

Me - I would go to Marseille, but then I live here :)

Either way you should have a great time

6. Re: Montpellier or Marseille?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:36 pm, May 31, 2013