We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Collioure or Cadaques

Which Collioure hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Collioure or Cadaques

I am suprising my husband with a week-long trip in April to celebrate our anniversary.

I am totally torn between Collioure and Cadaques.

I would appreciate if anyone could give me some advice on which one of these 2 towns to chose.

My wishlist for our holiday (some of our expectations for the ideal town to pick):

- a romantic, beautiful town with scenic landscapes in the area

- possibilites for day-trips in the area, not too far away (any ideas for day-trips would be MUCH appreciated!)

- I was wondering if there might be a Spa in the areas of either of these 2 towns where we could go for a treat?

- we adore spending time in interesting, quaint towns and also outside in nature.

Furthermore, both my husband and I are practising for Prague Marathon early in May (our first one ever!! yikes!). Therefore we will need to continue going for runs whilst on holiday. Does Collioure and/or Cadaques have roads safe enough to go running - i.e. with little traffic?

Last thing: do you know of a cheap car rental company we could use? We are flying into Gerona or Perpignan and out of Gerona.

I would REALLY appreciate any ideas or comments.

Thank you all in advance!!!

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
reviews: 35
1. Re: Collioure or Cadaques

Both are lovely, but why choose. Pick one and go on a day trip to the other. Pick the one most convenient for your airport or the one with the most appealing accomodation.

The coastal road between France and Spain is very scenic.

Spa ? Do not think there is any of the sort unless you go up the Vallespir Valley to Amelie les Bains/Palalda. It would be a suitable day trip from Collioure and it is quite nice up the valley.

There are plenty of hiking opportunities both in Collioure and Cadaqués. The Collioure Tourist Office has a leaflet on walks in the area. In Cadaqués there are walks in the nearby national park of Cabo de Creus.

Cross border car hire is best avoided, it will most likely double the price. Car hire is generally less expensive in Spain than in France. Try Holiday Autos or another broker. For a quote on cross border hire, it is best to go to the rental companies directly. Europecar and Avis quote one way fees directly, so no hidden surprises.

Perpignan, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Perpignan
reviews: 100
2. Re: Collioure or Cadaques

There is a spa in Banyuls-sur-Mer, a few miles from Collioure :

thalasso-thermale.com/thalassotherapie_thala…

Another one in Canet-en-Roussillon :http://www.hotel-flamants-roses.com/

Further up the coast toward Narbonne one in Le Barcarès :

thalasso-thermale.com/balneotherapie_hotel-s…

Day trips around Cadaquès: Rosas and Empuries (Greek and Roman ruins), Figueres (Dali museum), San Pere de Rodes (cistercian abbey), Vilabertran (roman abbey), Besalu (medieval village, jewish baths), Girona, Pals (medieval village), La Bisbal (ceramics).

Around Collioure : Port-Vendres (lively harbor, good fish restaurants), Banyuls, la Vallée Heuruese around Sorède (roman cloister in St Génis), Perpignan, Ceret (museum of modern Art) etc.....

Edited: 3:20 pm, April 03, 2011
3. Re: Collioure or Cadaques

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 am, October 25, 2012