We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good local restaurants

Which Carcassonne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey
reviews: 83
Good local restaurants

My husband and I are staying in Carcassonne for a week in September. We'll be using it as a our base to visit the area, touring during the day and returning for dinner every night. We have an apartment near Place Carnot. Can anyone recommend good restaurants where the locals eat? I heard a report recently that many french restaurants are using microwaved meals instead of preparing meals fresh for patrons, which occurs in the US too. We'd like to sample local cuisine made from fresh ingredients. We plan on eating in La Cite at least one night.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
reviews: 35
1. Re: Good local restaurants

For your requirements, I think you need to look at those top of the TA list. Most locals cannot afford fine dining every day, so for lunch during the week they often make do with fast food, prefabricated food etc. and dinner at home.

New Jersey
2. Re: Good local restaurants

I'm not really interested in fine dining, more family run restaurants into the "slow food" dining experience. We're in our 50's and would like to sit at a nice quiet table, enjoy our wine and eat a good meal.

Le Bugue, France
Destination Expert
for Dordogne
reviews: 4
3. Re: Good local restaurants

The problem you may run into, jaybirds51, is that the majority of people who visit Carcassonne tend to get in and out in a half-day or less. If they eat, it's a baguette from a vendor in La Cité. I don't think many people even go down into the lower town to eat, and even fewer make the town a base for a week. So you may not attract a lot of responses. I do remember having a nice lunch on the street that runs by the old covered market in the lower town, but it was too long ago to remember the name. I think by wandering around and relying on your observation skills and sense of smell you'll probably do just fine.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
4. Re: Good local restaurants

When you go to a French restaurant for a 3-4 course evening meal at a good restaurant, you will not be rushed. Maybe that is slow food - definitely not fast food. If you want to be sure of top quality fresh ingredients and the such, you will need to look at the best restaurants. They may be family run or not. All the reviews on TA are experiences from other tourists and the best source for info in addition to the restaurants' web-sites.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
5. Re: Good local restaurants

This one is family run and receives good reviews. You probably need to book and also take a look at which days of the week they are closed

http://www.lamarquiere.com/

Paris, France
reviews: 13
6. Re: Good local restaurants

A top-rated rated restaurant on TA may or may not be a fine dining experience. It will be a restaurant - at any price where the reviewers enjoyed their meal. Have you looked at at restaurant review section?

Perpignan, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Perpignan
reviews: 101
7. Re: Good local restaurants

You may want to have a look at Michelin's list : …michelin.fr/restaurants/…

New Jersey
8. Re: Good local restaurants

Yes I have looked at and I'm considering all of the reviews posted on TA. However, I like to get reviews from different sources and I thought I could get more information on the forum. I've already decided on La Marquiere and L'Ecurie and I'm considering Le Clos Occitan and L'Oeil le resto.

New Jersey
9. Re: Good local restaurants

Thank you, I haven't looked at that yet. I'll take a look.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
10. Re: Good local restaurants

You could compare with Michelin

http://tinyurl.com/k3qgkqp

Edited: 1:09 am, August 20, 2013