We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Carcassonne from Calgary, AB

Which Carcassonne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary, Canada
Getting to Carcassonne from Calgary, AB

Hello,

I'll be travleling to Carcassonne from Calgary next year and looking at the best route to get there. My priority is convenience in getting there and not necessarily price. It looks like I can go from Calgary to Paris and then take a domestic flight, but I'd have a stop in another City before getting into Paris...hence I'd be looking at 2 stops. I could go direct into London, then catch a direct flight into Carcassone from there...but the flights to Carcassone aren't out of Heathrow, so I'd have to get to another airport. My husband and I will have a 5 month old by then and I'd like to find the most direct route there. Not sure if I should consider a train leg or not...? Has anyone out there done this trip from Calgary? Thank you!

UK
1. Re: Getting to Carcassonne from Calgary, AB

Will you be renting a car while you're there? If so, you could consider flying from London Heathrow into Toulouse (with BA) - it's only about 60 miles drive from Toulouse airport to Carcassonne and there's an autoroute part of the way.

You can probably book the whole trip, Calgary-Toulouse, as a single ticket so your luggage is checked through at Heathrow. Using either Ryanair or Easyjet, you'd have to collect your bags and re-check them wherever you connect flights.

Edited: 4:34 pm, November 26, 2012
Vancouver
reviews: 4
2. Re: Getting to Carcassonne from Calgary, AB

You can get a direct flight from Calgary to Paris with Air Transat. The airline flies in and out of CDG Terminal 3 which is small.

Ottawa, Canada
reviews: 8
3. Re: Getting to Carcassonne from Calgary, AB

Phone AirTransat and see what they can do for you. From Montreal they have direct flights to Toulouse which is the closest major airport you'll get to Carcassonne. From Toulouse either pick up a car or take the train the last leg... about an hour.

I'd prefer to be changing planes in Montreal than either London or Paris. No customs/immigration and Trudeau airport is easy to get around. By all accounts Heathrow can be a zoo and although AT lands at T3 in Paris you might have to go to one of the other terminals for your connecting flight.

As I said, you may not find what you want on the website so give AT a call.

Bon voyage!

Boston
reviews: 17
4. Re: Getting to Carcassonne from Calgary, AB

I spent a lot of time researching this last year (from Boston) and ended up flying through Madrid to Toulouse and then taking the train to Carcassone.

The easiest route from North America is to fly to Toulouse then take the train. You can fly through any of the European gateways to get to Toulouse, but if you fly to London and want to fly directly into Carcassone, you need to change airports from Heathrow to Stanstead. Not a great option, You may be able to get a Ryan Air flight direct to Carcassone from Dublin.

If you go into Toulouse, the train station is easily reachable by bus from the airport and there are plenty of trains, but none of the machines worked for me because we do not have a chip in the credit card which is required to use the machines or to redeem a ticket purchased online. So, I had to wait in line to get a ticket which took quite a bit of time. It is a short trip and you do not need a reservation on most trains.

5. Re: Getting to Carcassonne from Calgary, AB

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, February 20, 2014