We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carcassonne visit 8-15th August. Using public transort, help

Which Carcassonne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lytham St Anne's...
Carcassonne visit 8-15th August. Using public transort, help

Hi, myself and a friend are going to Carcassonne for a week in August. We are not planning to hire a car and were thinking of using public transport to get around. Do you have any suggestions of things to do?

We would like to go to the med for a couple of days. I think train tickets are about £20 return per day which i thought was quite a lot-is there a more cost effective way to do it?

Just after any guidance on what to do/where to go realy and modes of transport!

Thanks

Perpignan, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Perpignan
reviews: 89
1. Re: Carcassonne visit 8-15th August. Using public transort, help

"We would like to go to the med for a couple of days. I think train tickets are about £20 return per day which i thought was quite a lot-is there a more cost effective way to do it"

No. Besides the train will take you to Narbonne and you'll have to take a bus to get to the nearest beach 15km away. I would consider renting a car.

You can take the €1 train from Carcasonne to Quillan.

Edited: 3:34 pm, July 15, 2012
sydney
reviews: 22
2. Re: Carcassonne visit 8-15th August. Using public transort, help

We spent a week in Carcassonne and used public transport only. The trains are easy. Consider visiting Toulouse,Narbonne,Perpignan and maybe even Montpellier.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
3. Re: Carcassonne visit 8-15th August. Using public transort, help

The item across to the right under 'Top Questions' contains links to the local train and bus websites. Be aware that once outside the city bus services are extremely sparse, so you will need to plan your days out carefully.

Lytham St Anne's...
4. Re: Carcassonne visit 8-15th August. Using public transort, help

Thanks for your reply. How much roughly did you spend on public transport? Just trying to weigh up whether to get a car or not. Also did you have to pay for each journey separately or could you get any sort of rail pass?

sydney
5. Re: Carcassonne visit 8-15th August. Using public transort, help

Sorry i don't recall costing but paid each trip separately. Rail passes are just not worth it...each trip from memory was minimal.

6. Re: Carcassonne visit 8-15th August. Using public transort, help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, July 18, 2013