We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Length of visit

Which Carcassonne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ireland
reviews: 2
Length of visit

Hi. I'm thinking of visiting Carcassonne in March/April 2008. How many days would previous visitors recommend is enough? Can you also recommend some other places in the region worth visiting, as I may visit the region for 9/10 days altogether? Thanks. DeeBee

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
reviews: 37
1. Re: Length of visit

We found that a few hours were sufficient.

Aspet, France
reviews: 1
2. Re: Length of visit

The old walled town of Carcassonne can be done in a day, to be honest!

Other things in the area;

- vineyards (loads of 'em!)

- the coast is approx an hour down the autoroute

- the foofthills of the Pyrenees can also be reached in an hour

See carcassonne-tourisme.com/carcassonne_en.nsf/… for loads more info. It's a lovely area.

Carcassonne, France
3. Re: Length of visit

Hello DeeBee

It depends what you want from a holiday, if you want beutiful walks in stunning scenery, amazing history, of the old town which if you want to explore well take in the historic walk museum and church with lovely stain glass windows, checkout the shops and sit and soak up the feeling of the place and find a good place for lunch, that will take a good day and a half to 2 days, then there is a day in the new town (which is old !!) sit in the main market square for lunch and people watch take a look at all the shops and old churches have a walk up the canal, (pop into the tourist centre and you will find interest for all taste, this again will take a day or two. If you higher a car within an hours drive are the black mountains with lovely walks and lakes with views to die for. if you like to take photos you will be in heaven. try and take in Revel and Pradelles in one day and then you have Capbrespine with the underground caves which are amazing and well worth a visit. If you like walking the canal path could take up most of your time and the mountains walks the rest. but if you just looking for mcdonalds and disney style attractions probally a couple of hours will do !!

South Yorkshire
reviews: 1
4. Re: Length of visit

i agree with Skiddy.

Hi Skiddy........ I'm travelling over on Monday 10th Dec -Friday 14th Dec

Carcassonne, France
5. Re: Length of visit

Hi Cahill

Sadley I will be a month behind you 10 days from the 14th jan.

Hope you have a great time come back and tell me what the christmas markets were like.

Have a fantastic christmas too!!

Europe
reviews: 16
6. Re: Length of visit

Frankly, Carcassonne is one of the places where time dissapears. In the old town you can spend hours and hours marvelling at the beauty of the place. For me it is a family place where the children (and adults) can dream about enchanted princesses and dragons!

For our family review, you can see:

hubpages.com/hub/mediaeval-towns-Carcassonne

I hope you enjoy your visit. Take your time and absorb the ambiance.

Carcassonne, France
7. Re: Length of visit

California
8. Re: Length of visit

DeeBee,

Check out Rough Guide for Languedoc...best way to get an idea of what's there...and what's affordable.

www.the-languedoc-page.com is a good English language site for the area...and good links. I first came here in 2000, and have been back every year since then (sometimes twice a year when funds permitted).

Do consider renting a gite (house) as a base...much cheaper than hotels, and you can dine out when you want to, and cook at home when you don't...www.gites-de-france.fr...in French mostly--rates are much less than houses rented by UK expats...not as fancy but better value. I'm renting a house in the Pyrenees (Montferrier, Ariege), 2 bedroom, fireplace, washer....165 euro the week...since I'm coming from the states, and the dollar has tanked, that kind of rate for the house is a trip saver! (local Brit owned houses are usually about 500 euro the week...)

Yes, the grotto is worth seeing...fantastic...I've stayed in Caunes Minervois before, great small town, large expat base, in the middle of the Minervois wine region...(yum!)...and not that far from Carcassonne..(Rick Steves/Europe thru the back door bases his stays in the area in Caunes...

Will you be by yourself?

good luck,

lynda

9. Re: Length of visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:23 am, September 15, 2009