We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holiday with teenage girls and grandparents

Which Carcassonne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ireland
reviews: 11
Holiday with teenage girls and grandparents

We are travelling to France at the end of August and staying near Limoux, near Carcassonne. I want to keep everyone happy. My parents have limited mobility so this might pose some access problems. Has anyone any ideas? Also, does anyone know are the boats on Canal du Midi accessible to wheelchair users or people with reduced mobility?

Derby, United...
reviews: 46
1. Re: Holiday with teenage girls and grandparents

We visited Carcassonne and Montpellier during Easter 2007 - with my parents (70 year olds) and my 13 year old son. We split our 8 days into 4 + 4.

You don't say much about your family's interests - I'll try to offer some general ideas.

The relevant bit of Carcassonne is La Cite; this is a walled town situated on a hill. The 'new' town of Carcassonne is a very long walk to La Cite.

In La Cite you will need to park in the main car park that is situated next to the large old walls, level with one of the main gates. (It is quite well signposted). La Cite is worth a visit in my opinion.

Do you have a disabled parking badge?

You have the option of paying for a tour of the La Cite fort that is istuated within La Cite; this is good, but the tour has limited access for wheelchairs.

It is possible to walk between the inner and outer walls of La Cite. The space between is very wide and has good access for long distances. Alternatively, you could take a horse and trap - propbably a better option for you.

We visited lots of other places (hire car). I could recommend many - if you give your interests... ie Montpellier is a cosmopolitan City with lots happening.... it also has a mini-train (with very funny translations in the guide leaflet)

hope that this helps as a start

Ireland
reviews: 11
2. Re: Holiday with teenage girls and grandparents

Thank you for your helpful hints. My mother has a disabled badge. Is it ok to use it in France? My two daughters would love some shopping, my father and husband would like a visit to a vineyard and some fishing, my mother likes nice scenery and markets and I would love to go for a trip on the Canal du Midi. Any suggestions would be great.

Perpignan, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Perpignan
reviews: 87
3. Re: Holiday with teenage girls and grandparents

Thank you for your helpful hints. My mother has a disabled badge. Is it ok to use it in France?

There is a European Parking Badge for disabled persons. Maybe you should get one before leaving Ireland.

4. Re: Holiday with teenage girls and grandparents

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 pm, September 05, 2009