We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay in Place Sainte Catherine in Marais?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Memphis, Tennessee
reviews: 64
Stay in Place Sainte Catherine in Marais?

I'm looking at renting a studio apartment in Place Sainte Catherine, which is closed to traffic. I know it's in the Marais near St. Paul metro on Rue d'Ormesson. My dates are in May.

Does anyone have experience staying at hotels or apartments in this square? If so, what were your impressions of it in general and as a base for exploring Paris? I'd like to stay near good areas for food shopping and dining, but not too touristy.

I want to check out Place des Vosges for sure, but I haven't made an itinerary. I did see most of the big touristy things on my first visit.

Calgary, Canada
reviews: 3
1. Re: Stay in Place Sainte Catherine in Marais?

Can you, please post a link to the apartment.

Paris, France
reviews: 13
2. Re: Stay in Place Sainte Catherine in Marais?

In general, the location is great. Have you walked the exact address on google maps?

Bedfordshire...
reviews: 51
3. Re: Stay in Place Sainte Catherine in Marais?

If you are actually on the square, it could get very noisy as all the businesses are bars and restaurants with terraces. Great area to be, though.

Paris, France
reviews: 120
4. Re: Stay in Place Sainte Catherine in Marais?

I agree with Pericoloso - you cannot beat the very charming location for food shopping, other shopping, transportation and walk-ablity. It will probably still be relatively cool in May, but if you need to leave the windows open, and if you are a light sleeper, you'll have to bring earplugs.

Oslo, Norway
reviews: 21
5. Re: Stay in Place Sainte Catherine in Marais?

La Place du Marché Sainte-Catherine (I think that is the correct name, even if there is no market there anymore) would be my preferred location for any stay in Paris. If I remember correctly,there are no hotels right on the square, but several in streets close-by. The noise is nothing to worry about, the businesses on the square are restaurants and cafes, there are no night spots with amplified music.

reviews: 183
6. Re: Stay in Place Sainte Catherine in Marais?

We stayed close to that charming square and ate there. I took a number of photos as it was sort of a typical Paris scene. Excellent location for shopping, transportation (metro and bus) and Place des Vosges during the day is very nice. I would definitely consider an apartment stay there. Maybe a bit of restaurant noise but nothing drastic..

Paris, France
reviews: 120
7. Re: Stay in Place Sainte Catherine in Marais?

moonslice - I live just a few meters away from this little square, and walk through it several times both day and night. It's both neighborhood-y and tourist-y - both in a good way. Weekends are noisy, since musicians and other entertainers perform here, and attract small crowds, especially during the evenings. Nothing too terrible, and the rest of the week is "normal". Sunday brunches are very popular in most of the cafes on the Place, and it's a nice place to sit and have a drink on a hot day.

Rue d'Ormesson has a couple of very small restaurants and some interesting small shops. All the buildings surrounding the square date back to the 18th C, and several on rue d'Ormesson are much older than that, so I would be sure to check out the stairs, if this might be a concern.

Memphis, Tennessee
reviews: 64
8. Re: Stay in Place Sainte Catherine in Marais?

Thanks everyone for the really quick and detailed replies!

@F1racegirl No, they don't give you the address until you book. Even then, I'm not sure they want you to share it.

Ottawa, Canada
reviews: 53
9. Re: Stay in Place Sainte Catherine in Marais?

How can you be sure of the location if you don't have the address? I've never rented an apartment without having the street address, and when inquiring, if I am not provided with the address, I move on.

reviews: 183
10. Re: Stay in Place Sainte Catherine in Marais?

I did not get the exact address before I booked with Haven in Paris and not sure if I could have if I pressed the issue. I got enough information and photos to pretty much figure it out. Not sure what general policy is. I would think there might be some security issues in giving exact street addresses to vacation rentals?