We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety In A Nutshell...With No Nonsense

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Paris, France
reviews: 118
Safety In A Nutshell...With No Nonsense

Here is the most up-to-date, valuable information on tourist safety - straight from the Paris Police Department itself.

It's entitled:

"Prefecture de Police Vous Aider. Touristes: Paris En Toute Securite"

(there is a Translate option)

…gouv.fr/Vous-aider/…Touristes

To the right, under "En Savoir Plus", download the pdf in your native language: French, English, Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Spanish, Russian.

Read it thoroughly and follow the simple recommendations.

There really isn't anything else you need.

50 replies to this topic
Paris, France
reviews: 4
11. Re: Safety In A Nutshell...With No Nonsense

A thread that should be added to the Top Asked Questions about Paris.

Victoria, Canada
reviews: 54
12. Re: Safety In A Nutshell...With No Nonsense

Great little brochure.. perhaps should be given out at the airports!

All tips mentioned have also been repeatedly mentioned on this forum.. but when some of use outline the same precautions we are told we are "fear mongering".

Perth, Australia
reviews: 2
13. Re: Safety In A Nutshell...With No Nonsense

Very good advice indeed. I was robbed (guy pushed into me at the turnstyles of the metro) and stole my wallet. I lost about 500 euros cash and he also spent 1000 euros on my visa card. The visa card purchase was refunded by visa but cash was gone forever. The pickpockets are VERY good at their job. I didn't realise my wallet was missing until several hours later when I was in a shop and wanted to buy some pastries.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
reviews: 117
14. Re: Safety In A Nutshell...With No Nonsense

sorry to hear

where was your wallet, in a pocket?

Baton Rouge
reviews: 4
15. Re: Safety In A Nutshell...With No Nonsense

I think a big part of the issue is that most tourists, at least from the USA, are not used to needing to maintain that kind of level of vigilance. Sure, pickpockets exist here, but I've seen comments for Paris saying that it's just asking to be robbed to put a wallet in your back pocket. I've been carrying a wallet in my back pocket for about 40 years now, though, and never had an issue, including in some major cities here (New York, Chicago, Atlanta, San Francisco) and abroad (London, Tokyo). I'll find a different way to carry my wallet (or not use it at all and find a safe place to tuck my cash & credit card), but it is certainly a different mindset for me and, I think, for most Americans.

The rest of it, like not getting caught up in someone trying to sell you a bracelet or signing some random petition or scamming you in a card game, etc. seems pretty natural to me, though.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
16. Re: Safety In A Nutshell...With No Nonsense

keeping wallet in back pocket is not advisable on public transit where I live, too

and 500 euros, or dollars, are best stashed (no matter where you are) in a place that isn't as easy to reach as an open pocket IMO

Paris, France
reviews: 118
17. Re: Safety In A Nutshell...With No Nonsense

AlChem - You make a very good point about having to think a little differently about things.

I know that when I was living in the US, I was usually in a car, and not spending much time in crowded museums or public transport, etc.

I see people do dumb stuff all the time, though - just because they "forgot" that they were in Paris. It only takes a minute for something to happen - and if I can see that you just stuck your bulging billfold in your back pocket while strolling away to some distant monument, you can bet that someone else did, too.

The only difference is that I might be nice enough to suggest you do something about it...

Paris, France
18. Re: Safety In A Nutshell...With No Nonsense

Putting a wallet in a back pocket is very, very bad for one's back anyway (plus it distorts completely your figure). Security-considerations aside, it puzzles me why anyone would put anything bigger than a piece of paper in a back pocket.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
19. Re: Safety In A Nutshell...With No Nonsense

LOL@ vision of distorted figure/lopsided derrière

there was an old joke: a grade-schooler's example of how 'thankfully' can be used - 'yesterday a man was killed by bandits, thankfully he left his money at home'

Cape May, New Jersey
reviews: 13
20. Re: Safety In A Nutshell...With No Nonsense

What do you use to carry your cash/wallets around? What is the safest for men and women? I saw in the article it said "banana backpack". I don't know what that is..

Reply to: Safety In A Nutshell...With No Nonsense
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted