We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tours by Locals in Paris?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Richfield, Ohio
reviews: 1
Tours by Locals in Paris?

We will be in Paris in May and we want to book private/semiprivate tours. Do you have any recommendations. I found a company Tours by Locals? Has anyone used this company?

13 replies to this topic
Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
reviews: 4
1. Re: Tours by Locals in Paris?

I would take a look at these tours by locals:

http://www.parisgreeters.fr/?lang=en

http://paris.contexttravel.com/main/home/

Saint Louis...
reviews: 12
2. Re: Tours by Locals in Paris?

You might try Paris Greeters. I loved my walking tour with one of their volunteers. http://www.parisgreeters.fr/?lang=en

Independence, Kansas
reviews: 4
3. Re: Tours by Locals in Paris?

Another vote for Paris Greeters. Be sure and tip your guide even though it's not required. You could also stop in a bistro and buy him or her a glass of wine.

Ottawa, Ontario
reviews: 21
4. Re: Tours by Locals in Paris?

We hired a guide from toursbylocals last summer. Did a full day Versailles tour and a 3 hr tour of the louvre. Both tours were guided by Eugenie. She did a wonderful job. We'd definitely book her again.

Anacortes...
reviews: 5
5. Re: Tours by Locals in Paris?

It is my understanding, Orprah44, that tipping the Paris Greeters is strictly forbidden. A donation to the Greeter's organization is encouraged, but the Greeters themselves do not accept tips, IME. The guides are all volunteers, and do the tours to share their love and knowledge of their neighborhoods.

It has been a couple of years since I took a tour of Belleville/Menilmontant with the wonderful and gorgeous Claude, so correct me if I am wrong here.

Tucson, Arizona
reviews: 504
6. Re: Tours by Locals in Paris?

Yet another vote for Paris Greeters ... a great organization with locals who volunteer their time as guides. PG asks you to consider a donation of your choice to help keep the organization going. I've done two of its walks and learned much, even though I'm a frequent visitor to Paris. Highly recommend.

Tucson, Arizona
reviews: 504
7. Re: Tours by Locals in Paris?

nukesafe, It is also my understanding that the Paris Greeters volunteers do not want to be tipped. I have heard of some instances where tourists insisted on giving a tip and the guide passed it forward to the organization. But it has also been a couple of years since I've taken one of these walks so the approach could have changed.

Anacortes...
reviews: 5
8. Re: Tours by Locals in Paris?

I think it is still that way, Rumples. When last we went I made a contribution when I sent in my application. The four of us were so delighted with the tour of those vital neighborhoods that I sent in a second contribution after we got back, along with a letter of appreciation of the wonderfully informative and friendly guide.

One of the highlights of our trip! Something the vast majority of tourists never get to experience; walking around with a real Parisian who loves his/her city.

Saint Louis...
reviews: 12
9. Re: Tours by Locals in Paris?

My Paris Greeter wouldn't even let me purchase a sandwich and water for her when we stopped for lunch. But I did make a donation to the organization.

Richfield, Ohio
reviews: 1
10. Re: Tours by Locals in Paris?

Thanks for your information as Eugenie ( Tours by locals) already contacted us and she was willing to make accommodations for my husband who has trouble walking!

Edited: 6:46 pm, February 08, 2014
Reply to: Tours by Locals in Paris?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted