We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rue Broca vs. Rue Charlemagne as base for family trip?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NY
reviews: 8
Rue Broca vs. Rue Charlemagne as base for family trip?

I'd really appreciate help from someone familiar with these two areas.

We are deciding between two lovely apartments - One On Rue Broca which is right at the south terminus of Rue Mouffetard and the other on Rue Charlemagne which also has an entrance from Rue St. Antoine. Both have bedrooms on courtyards, so noise should not be an issue. Since we are traveling with the kids, we are especially mindful of picking a safe but interesting area. The closest metro to Broca would be Censier-Daubenton. Is that one pretty safe?

The other hitch is that the apt. on Charlemagne has only 5 reviews and the most recent is from April 2011. That seems odd to me.... The other apartment has over 30 reviews, many of which are recent. Not sure how much weight to give the whole review thing...

Any insights would be wonderful.

Paris, France
reviews: 4
1. Re: Rue Broca vs. Rue Charlemagne as base for family trip?

Both neighborhoods are completely safe at any time of the day or night. Obviously rue Charlemagne is very centrally located and the other location is going to require some walking to get to the main touristy sites along the river. But of course the métro/buses/RER will get you anywhere quickly and efficiently. Either location is fine.

Paris, France
reviews: 177
2. Re: Rue Broca vs. Rue Charlemagne as base for family trip?

Both areas are perfectly safe and convenient for discovering Paris. Personnaly, I would prefer rue Broca but I'm obvioulsy biased because I live nearby ;-)

reviews: 42
3. Re: Rue Broca vs. Rue Charlemagne as base for family trip?

I have stayed in 2 different apartments both of which were on Rue Charlemagne,and really loved the area. It was handy having another entrance as well. They both had bedrooms facing the street, but the noise was minimal, and certainly not enough to bother us. The courtyard always seemed very quiet when walking through, and we never met any other residents.

They were both at 16 Rue Charlemagne, and I would certainly stay at either again. Personally, I like to stay somewhere closer to the river than Rue Broca

Can you provide the links to the apartments?

Paris, France
reviews: 1
4. Re: Rue Broca vs. Rue Charlemagne as base for family trip?

St Paul metro station is basically right outside the rue st Antoine exit for Rue 16 Charlemagne. Being on Metro line 1, I'd say it's pretty convenient as a 'base', not to mention the nearby bars, cafes, restaurants, (and more mundane things like supermarkets and boulangeries). Place des Vosges is a short walk, as is the Musee Carnavalet. Bastille is a short walk (or 1 metro stop) away, as are the weekly markets on Boulevard Richard Lenoir, not to mention the shopping potential of rue de Rivoli, if that's of interest to you. Rue Charlemagne is also the location of part of the 'original' walls built around Paris in the late 12th/early 13th century by Philip II during his 'lively exchange of views' with the Plantagenets, before he went off on the 3rd crusade.

Apart from the student protests outside the school last year, rue Charlemagne is pretty quiet, and civilised. I live in this area, and, admittedly, when looking for somewhere to live, it wasn't my 1st choice as a location, (or apartment), but it quickly grew on me once I moved in.

NY
reviews: 8
5. Re: Rue Broca vs. Rue Charlemagne as base for family trip?

I had to nix the apartment on Rue Charlemagne because of poor response rating by owner and some mixed reviews on Airbnb.

Will now have to choose either an apartment near Place St Medard www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p196919vb or

Rue Lanneau www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p59426vb as I posted in a new thread here titled "Help Please! Apt. decision St Medard..." tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187147-i14-k71705…

Thanks for the responses. Would love any input from Paul_Hamlin who lives near Rue Broca about things to see/do there.

6. Re: Rue Broca vs. Rue Charlemagne as base for family trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, February 04, 2015