We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sport jacket?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cincinnati
reviews: 11
Sport jacket?

Do you know if it will be appropriate/necessary for my husband to wear a sport jacket to any of the following restaurants:

Le Petit Marche

Pramil

Pirouette

Le Mary Celeste

Le Souffle

Metropolitain

La Regalade Saint-Honore

Le Hide

Le Christine

He'd be wearing sport or dress slacks & a dress shirt in any case; the question is if he needs a sport jacket too. Thanks so much for any "wardrobe assistance" you can share.

39 replies to this topic
Cincinnati
1. Re: Sport jacket?

Okay, I'll generalize and see if I can get a response.

Do men wear sport jackets at medium-tier restaurants in the evening? (Not Michelin starred places, but not necessarily your neighborhood bistro either.)

Anyone? Please? :-)

New York City, New...
reviews: 10
2. Re: Sport jacket?

It's about 3:30 in the morning in France right now; I'm guessing most of the posters who live there are sound asleep right now.

San Francisco...
reviews: 24
3. Re: Sport jacket?

A sports jacket will not be necessary at any of the places you list. But neither would it be out of place.

Cincinnati
4. Re: Sport jacket?

Good point about the time difference. Can you tell I'm in last minute panicked packing mode?

Thanks for the feedback on the jacket. My husband thanks you even more!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 12
5. Re: Sport jacket?

If it is warm, I wear long trousers and an open-nick shirt without a tie. If it is cool, or if I am going somewhere formal like Jules Verne, I also put on a standard blue blazer. Apart from weddings and funerals, I don't think I have worn a tie in the past decade.

I always take a blazer when travelling. The extra pockets are very useful for holding our travel documents when we have to take a train or plane.

Memphis, TN
reviews: 27
6. Re: Sport jacket?

I always wear some sort of sport jacket when in Paris. It makes me feel less like a tourist. Why not dress up to visit Paris ?

Anacortes...
reviews: 5
7. Re: Sport jacket?

I always take an old sport coat/blazer to Europe. I have a number of them in my closet from when I had to do the jacket an tie thing every day for work. At least I then have the option of wearing one to a nicer place if I feel like it, or if it is required for a really nifty place. I wear it on the plane going over and, since it is an old one just throw it away for the trip back so I have more room in my case.

Paris, France
reviews: 118
8. Re: Sport jacket?

Not sure if you've finished packing, but no jacket required in any of those places you mentioned - they are a lot more casual than you might think. It might be chilly, though, so it would come in handy.

Paris, France
reviews: 177
9. Re: Sport jacket?

Don't worry! A sport jacket is perfectly fine everywhere and in particular in the places you mention. Have fun packing !

New York City, New...
reviews: 52
10. Re: Sport jacket?

I agree with alll the other men's replies. I wear one for convenience (the pockets). I like to see a concert or a play on my trips, so it's useful for that, too. Sometimes I'll only wear it on plane trips.

I found out where nukesafe disposes of his old jackets. We're more or less the same size. Thank you, brother.

-- Steve

Reply to: Sport jacket?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted