We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental insurance - please help

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
reviews: 24
Rental insurance - please help

We have never rented before and are preparing to now. We just received the contract from the owner and that has a clause about us having to buy renter's insurance against fire and other damages.

Could someone please, please tell me if this is standard? What companies are generally used? Also, to do this, I'd have to be familiar with the rental, e.g. furniture, last renovated, layout, etc. so I'm unclear on how I would even get a policy.

I'd really appreciate some insight because I'm pretty confused at the moment.

Bedoin, France
reviews: 10
11. Re: Rental insurance - please help

No I do not believe that it is required to be in contracts here. I suspect, like many owners, they are trying to cover themselves and let you know you are only covered under certain situations. Lots of folks include the trip cancellation insurance recommendaiton as you don't get your money back if you cancel at the last minute.

If the contract was in good English, they had someone help them prepare it or find it (there are many online to download). They have to understand what is outlined in the contract or they wouldn't have used it. If the wife doesn't speak good English, just politely ask her if there is someone who helps them with their English speaking guests. No one I know of would even hesitate to share that information with you in order to complete a comfortable booking. In most cases, neither side wishes to feel unsure about anything.

As to signing something that you don't intend to do, I would never do that, never. If you don't agree with something line it out and initial it and offer a written explanation as to why you have lined it out.

That's just me..

London, United...
12. Re: Rental insurance - please help

OK, I know I am being a nag here and am probably over-worrying things but I just don't want to end up stuck in some situation when I could have prevented it.

So I got her response which says:

It is required by law to mention this renter's insurance clause in our

contracts. But as we have our own insurance, you don't actually have to get one.

However, her contract says 'the renter is under obligation to have an insurance policy'. Under obligation to me does not mean 'oh, it's ok if you don't have it'.

So should I insist that we leave that out? I don't want to be problematic for her, either, if she's required to have it.

I am so grateful for your advice.

lookout, mountain!
13. Re: Rental insurance - please help

>>"...if you don't agree with something, line it out..."

yeah, that's basically what we did when we rented. There were verbal/email agreements (changes to contract) that were not then corrected in the written contract, so I marked them out and added the correct terms (highlighting both) for the copy we sent back. I mentioned the changed both in a cover letter and at the top of the contract and all was fine :)

Good luck and have a great time!

M

lookout, mountain!
14. Re: Rental insurance - please help

Try changing 'the renter is under obligation to have an insurance policy' to 'the renter is under obligation to have an insurance policy for any coverage of their property.'

That makes it clear that you won't be covered under THEIR policy, but doesn't require you to get one, either.

M

Bedoin, France
reviews: 10
15. Re: Rental insurance - please help

Only other thing I would suggest is if you really want to stay in this particular place is ask the owner to provide you with the name of an insurance company that can provide such insurance. This may mean dealing with a French carrier and having contracts in French which wouldn't suit you.

You might also contact your own home insurance company to ask them if they write any sort of policy like this - it is possible they do or that you have some sort of cover from your own home insurance policy.

Barring all that, if you really want to stay here, line out that part.

Kensington, MD...
16. Re: Rental insurance - please help

Curious, don't over-analyze this. One of the inconsistencies of French culture is its bureaucracy-bound system to which nobody pays heed. There are the "correct" ways to do things--and countless ways to get around the regulations. This is simply the way things are done. Don't forget the entire French legal system is built around the Code Napoleon and has little to do with common law familiar to Anglo-Saxons.

London, United...
17. Re: Rental insurance - please help

LOL, I promise I will stop now.

That's pretty much what I figured. Though I do not come from an Anglo-Saxon society, I am always reluctant to put my muddy pawprints on anything I do not completely agree with or am uncomfortable with. But in this case, I think I'll just take a deep breath and plunge into the unknown. Can you say control freak? :o)

Anyway, Truffaut and Toutou, I am forever obliged for all your patience and help. I reall am very thankful. I'll let you know how it all went in September!

18. Re: Rental insurance - please help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:19 pm, August 16, 2009