We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chase Marriott Visa Premier Card - chip and pin needed?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chappaqua, New York
reviews: 65
Chase Marriott Visa Premier Card - chip and pin needed?

I have the Chase Marriott Visa Premier Card - I will be in France and the UK next month. The card has the chip - Chase says you don't need a PIN and doesn't offer one. Has anyone had experience using this card in Europe? Is the PIN needed? Especially at automated kiosks? Which is really where you want to be able to use the card!

I agree with all the threads and forums - the US Banking industry is SO FAR antiquated compared to the ROW.

29 replies to this topic
Nottingham, United...
reviews: 129
1. Re: Chase Marriott Visa Premier Card - chip and pin needed?

If you wish to withdraw cash from an ATM then you must have a 4 digit pin no.

Using your card for purchases then it should be accepted using the antiquated system but don't be surprised if you are asked for your passport as security i.d.

I have to admit that I it has always surprised me that America is so far behind with their card system. Chip and pin cards are available though and I am sure someone else will come along and give you some recommendations.

Paris, France
reviews: 12
2. Re: Chase Marriott Visa Premier Card - chip and pin needed?

Please dont use a credit card to get cash out of an ATM.It will be treated as a cash advance which is the worst way to get money from a credit card.

For cash withdrawalls always use an ATM or debit card.

I've always just used a "regular" American credit or debit card and rarely have had any problems. But have not needed to use any unmanned kiosks. I'd be prepared with cash in these instances.

Saratoga Springs, NY
reviews: 116
3. Re: Chase Marriott Visa Premier Card - chip and pin needed?

+1 to everything F1racegirl said. :-)

If you search the forum, there are American banks offering the chip and pin card. I did just get one from my regular bank, USAA.

Florida
reviews: 6
4. Re: Chase Marriott Visa Premier Card - chip and pin needed?

We have never had a problem using our credit card without a pin in restaurants and hotels. However, you will not be able to use it at automated gas stations. If driving you will have to look for gas stations that are attended, and then you will not have a problem.

Illinois
reviews: 16
5. Re: Chase Marriott Visa Premier Card - chip and pin needed?

Assuming the Chase Marriott card chip is the same as the Chase British Airways card chip (although mine is a Mastercard), I used it in the UK with pretty good results. It only didn't work in one train ticket machine, and my regular swipe card worked in that one. The machine would either not ask for a PIN or I would just push Enter when it did. I was told (by Chase) that if you enter a PIN the transaction will then be a cash advance, not a purchase, so I don't recommend entering one. I haven't tried it in France yet, and I didn't use it at any gas stations as I didn't rent a car.

I also just got a chip and pin card from USAA, so I'll try it out on my trip next month.

Indianapolis...
reviews: 56
6. Re: Chase Marriott Visa Premier Card - chip and pin needed?

I was just speaking to Chase a couple of days ago about these chip cards. I believe if you really want it for cash advances that are costly you could call up Chase and request a pin #. Though I wouldn't use it for anything other then purchases myself.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 2
7. Re: Chase Marriott Visa Premier Card - chip and pin needed?

I have a card like that. i used it 2 weeks ago in London. No pin is needed. Worked fine everywhere.

Tucson, Arizona
reviews: 740
8. Re: Chase Marriott Visa Premier Card - chip and pin needed?

I also have a card like that and experienced no problems in automated kiosks for credit purchases. A pin number was unneeded. A Chase rep told me this has been worked out between the American banking system and other banking systems worldwide. I was also told if a machine did not accept the card to let Chase know immediately so that the necessary arrangements could be made to ensure that it worked for customers in the future. All the machines I encountered cooperated with me.

london
9. Re: Chase Marriott Visa Premier Card - chip and pin needed?

My Chase Marriott Signature Card with Chip did not work at two different lcoations - a grocery store in Blackburn and a restaurant in Leeds. Not sure why. Used a regular US Credit Card with no pin and those worked fine. Will be trying to trouble shot it, since the whole point of getting this new card with chip was to be able to use it freely in europe.

New Hampshire
reviews: 26
10. Re: Chase Marriott Visa Premier Card - chip and pin needed?

My Chase Marriott Visa left me high and dry everywhere from the Paris Metro, to the Louvre, to local cafes, to every merchant I tried in Munich, to Paddington Station in London, to the local sushi restaurant near the Hilton London Metropole. It's a brick -- completely worthless.

What? You think you could at least swipe it like a normal card if the chip doesn't work? No dice -- any machine that likes chip technology recognizes it, tries to validate the chip, fails, and won't read the strip. The only way I ever got it accepted was by having merchants enter the account numbers by hand. Talk about ways to raise their opinion of Americans.

It was positively pathetic. I'm getting rid of this card and getting one with a PIN. Chip and Signature is an absurd technology when dealing with vending machines like those for train tickets in Europe and Japan. I have no idea why so many American banks are so far behind the rest of the world. OK, I'm sure it involves profits, but they won't be getting them from me.

Reply to: Chase Marriott Visa Premier Card - chip and pin needed?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted