We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How should a man dress in Paris?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Denver
How should a man dress in Paris?

My husband has never been to Europe and we are heading to Paris next week. We don't want to look like tourists... He normally wears shorts, tennies & t-shirts, but knows he needs to dress differently so as to blend in. Any suggestions, please?

thank you!

London
1. Re: How should a man dress in Paris?

Don't worry, a pair of jeans, with a t(shirt (if the weather is ok) will be fine. As far as I know, people in France dress just the way all occidental people dress ! !

Denver
2. Re: How should a man dress in Paris?

Thank you. I was told that men dress up even to sight see. Not a suit, but not jeans. I like your advice better!

Cranford
reviews: 1
3. Re: How should a man dress in Paris?

<<As far as I know, people in France dress just the way all occidental people dress ! !>>

I France, maybe... But Paris luvr was talking about Paris.

You can search the forum for "what shoud I wear".

In short, if you don't want to look like tourists, you better leave shorts home. :-)))

Kensington, MD...
4. Re: How should a man dress in Paris?

Almost the only shorts you'll seen on a French man are on the pompiers as they jog around the neighborhoods for their daily exercise. Your husband should avoid overly worn jeans, shorts, white athletic shoes, t-shirts with logos or writing, excessively bright colors (golf course type stuff), and ball caps. Basic blue, black or grey pants with a simple shirt is perfect and won't call attention. Polo-type shirts are fine, too. There's some leeway if you're at the younger end of the age spectrum.

Paris
5. Re: How should a man dress in Paris?

I've been living in Paris for 30 years, and I'm afraid of what people think about frenchmen when I read this. As Londongary told you, your husband can dress the way he wants to. Especially in Paris. You DO NOT have to avoid printed t-shirts. Just stroll around les Halles or le Marais and you'll see lots of people wearing those. Sure, if you want to make it fancy and to go to some nice restaurant, you should dress, but as you would if you were in Denver (Colorado is a nice place by the way). I'm used to watch american tv shows, and I DID NOT notice any difference between the way we dress here, and the way you dress there.

the big blue marble
reviews: 32
6. Re: How should a man dress in Paris?

AMEN Fran.

Really Paris_luvr, you are not going to blend in, so wear what makes you feel confident and what you find comfortable and have a great trip!!!

Oh, except, ditch the shorts, it is not yet warm enough for that.

Tucson, Arizona
reviews: 6
7. Re: How should a man dress in Paris?

Maybe ugly American speaking, but you are spending the money, helping pay the salaries of waiters and ticket takers. Wear what you want as long as it is decent.

Just kidding, but why do we worry so much about them knowing we are American? We are!

Toronto Canada
8. Re: How should a man dress in Paris?

Hi Denver- We just returned and my suggestion is to be comfortable. Especially with footwear. My husband took an all weather type op coat coat, above the knee straight style, a blazer jacket that he could wear over golf type t- shirts or over blue button down collar type shirts,one long and one shortsleeve, a pullover sweater Polo or Tommy H type that could be pulled over everything. two pairs slalcks, one dark khaki Dockers type and one bit dressier micro fibre type that travel well and an umbella, and zip front casual jacket. Took a tie that he never wore. Put in long shorts, the kind for golfing but it was so cold. Do have an umbrella. In cities dark and neutral colurs are more the norm but hey, you are going to see Paris and just enjoy. Do trust CNN weather on line. We should have had leather jackets. As it was he could layer everything. You do not need a lot of clothes. Don't bother buying anything new. Spend your euros on Paris instead. Another thought. We never pack anything valuable or costly. If your luggage gets permanently lost, the total you will get back is pretty low. So my guy wears blazer and top coat on plane as those are the more expensive items. He really could just have a casual jacket unless you are going places that require formal dress. Have a great trip!j

Denver
9. Re: How should a man dress in Paris?

Thank you all very much for these posts! Very helpful!

Toronto Canada
10. Re: How should a man dress in Paris?

Lat thought. Wear on plane, or have in your carryon, items that could tide you over if your luggage gets delayed or your room is not ready. That way you are set to enjoy yourselves whatever the obstacles may be. If your room is not ready, your luggage will likely be put into temporary storage by your hotel so be prepared to explore the neighbourhood in your on flight clothes. Au revoir!