We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Paris a good destination for the Holidays ?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Miami, Florida
reviews: 2
Is Paris a good destination for the Holidays ?

Hi-

I"m planning a trip in December for 10 days around the week of the 21st through 31st. I am thinking of several destinations that I have searched but I am not quite sure where it would be more pleasant. I'm looking to spend the holidays where i can experience the Christmas spirit and the weather it's not so bad..

I thought of France ( Paris & Strasbourg.. experience the Christmas Markets ) or perhaps Spain ( Madrid & Barcelona ).

Open to any suggestions... I have already visited Madrid/ Barcelona but I"m intrique to see it during the Holidays. Now, Paris I'll love to visit in the Summer but I know during the Holidays is amazing too.. As you see I need help to decide.... Help Help !!!!

I can try other cities as well!!!!!!

Thanks Everyone !!!

Nouic, Haute Vienne
reviews: 13
1. Re: Is Paris a good destination for the Holidays ?

Why oh why does every one want to go to a city to see the culture. All the cities you mension will be full of people of all nationalities, not the people that you really wish to meet, which is the people of that country.

If you go to a rural part of any of these countries you will see the real people and the real culture. Where I live, Nouic in France, we have amazing Christmas markets, Bellac, Saint Junien, and in a village called Blond, not only a Christmas market but chickens race through the village twice a day, and people gamble on the winner, how bizzar is that.

Have a great time where ever you go

John.

Tampa, Florida
reviews: 7
2. Re: Is Paris a good destination for the Holidays ?

Cities known for Christmas markets (Strasbourg and Colmar - Paris's Christmas markets are a sad substitution) don't have nice weather at Christmas. Expect very short days - sunrise just before 9 am, and dark by 5 pm. Weather will be cold - especially for someone from Miami -- and snow is not uncommon.

But you can't overlook the magic of the Christmas markets -- it was snowing when we were there, and with the architecture and the lights, it was like being inside a beautiful snowglobe.

If you are going to go to Strasbourg, you need to be making the decision NOW. Hotel rooms go fast, and many hotels are already booked out.

Strasbourg, France
reviews: 87
3. Re: Is Paris a good destination for the Holidays ?

I'm looking to spend the holidays where i can experience the Christmas spirit " so you have to to germany or Strasbourg

Edited: 2:39 pm, August 26, 2012
Ulverston, United...
4. Re: Is Paris a good destination for the Holidays ?

I would just go to Alsace and leave Paris for another time. The little towns are beautiful, and you can go into the Black Forest, to Freiburg, and by train into Switzerland.

Although there is lots to do in Paris at any time of the year, it's best enjoyed when you have time to stroll around and enjoy the outside spaces rather than dash about and spend lots of time indoors. I would also not go to either Madrid or Barcelona for the same reasons.

Paris, France
5. Re: Is Paris a good destination for the Holidays ?

John : as lovely as the countryside is, I've experienced too many rainy autumn or spring holidays in the monts de Blond to dream of going there in full winter.

As suggested, I'd try the mountains where at least you can hope to climb over the clouds, like the Alps or even better the Pyrénées, where you have a chance for a mild mediterranean winter at the foot of the mountain.

New Market, Maryland
reviews: 7
6. Re: Is Paris a good destination for the Holidays ?

Check out Lyon. Beautiful light display at the holidays. We had a wonderful holiday trip to Prague Vienna & Budapest . Great markets and the scenery was beautiful at that time of year.

Nottingham, United...
reviews: 120
7. Re: Is Paris a good destination for the Holidays ?

I wouldn't go to any of the places that you have mentioned.

So where would I go?

Prague & Budapest.

Brussels & Ghent.

Amsterdam.

The French or Swiss Alps would appeal to me too in a different way.

Overall my vote would more than likely go for the Alps.

Vancouver, Canada
8. Re: Is Paris a good destination for the Holidays ?

Paris is a good destination at any time, IMO.

Bayside, Wisconsin
reviews: 174
9. Re: Is Paris a good destination for the Holidays ?

Speaking from experience I would stick to larger cities like Paris. Smaller villages close completely for the holidays, so it is hard to find places to eat. I remember being in Vienna for Christmas once and could not find food to eat. We did eventually find one restaurant, but they only let us stay one hour.

While I do agree that experiencing the local culture is best, please do it while there will be restaurants open. Local people are less likely, imo, to spend time during the holidays out and about, but with family.

My vote is for Paris. It's so wonderful to walk into a restaurant, cold from the walk, and smell the wonderful food and enjoy the warmth.

Good luck with your decision!

10. Re: Is Paris a good destination for the Holidays ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:19 pm, December 15, 2013