We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chartres vs Fountainebleu vs Chantilly

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Florida
reviews: 4
Chartres vs Fountainebleu vs Chantilly

Which of the 3 would you recommend for a day trip out of Paris.

Smoking Joe

Newcastle
reviews: 98
1. Re: Chartres vs Fountainebleu vs Chantilly

That is a hard choice! I have been to all three and each has so much to offer!

I think the easy one to get to would be Chartres via the train the next would be Fountainbleu. They are all such wonderful sites to see!

You can not go wrong on any of them!

Knysna, South Africa
reviews: 3
2. Re: Chartres vs Fountainebleu vs Chantilly

If you have children then I would say no question - HAS to be Chantilly. It's close to Paris and CDG and a very pretty drive. There is an interesting tour of the museum - even my 4-year-old enjoyed it because it's not very big. Even if you take the second optional tour, it is interesting but not overwhelming. We ate luncheon in the restaurant downstairs - very unusual French dishes but not much for kids. We took the 10-seater boat ride up to the play area and ate ice creams in the sun, then walked back to the chateau. Then we walked over to the Horse Museum and managed to see the horses, the museum and watch the 'show', which had French commentary.

Very close to Chantilly is the mediaeval town of Senlis. Park in the public parking and it's a short walk into the old part.

Chartres Cathedral is quite beautiful, but there wasn't much else to see in Chartres. If you go try and get on to a tour led by Malcolm Miller, an Englishman who has devoted his life to the cathedral and has authored books on it. There is nothing he doesn't know! If you are driving there, avoid the highways and take the major roads south-west of Paris through beautiful countryside. Shouldn't take you more than 90 minutes and you will be against Paris traffic both ways on a day-trip.

The area around Fountainebleu is lovely for walking. I haven't been into the chateaux.

paris
3. Re: Chartres vs Fountainebleu vs Chantilly

It is difficult to answer this question since you are "comparing pears with apples".

Chartres is mostly known for its medieval cathedral and it has a pretty "downtown".

It is easily accessible by trains.

The other 2 places are known for their castles and are easier to reach BY CAR than by train.

They are all worth a visit. On a beautiful day I would go to Chantilly/Senlis.

I would place Fontainebleau in the third place. But it is a tough choice.

the big blue marble
reviews: 35
4. Re: Chartres vs Fountainebleu vs Chantilly

Chartres has been well described, as has Chantilly.

Fountainbleau has a nice town to visit, the most extensive garden of the three sights and a great forest with some world class rock climbing. The Palace is okay (Chantilly has much better artwork).

Dorset, UK
reviews: 1
5. Re: Chartres vs Fountainebleu vs Chantilly

Chantilly is easy to get to by train from Gare du Nord. The chateau is a longish walk from the station, but pleasant enough via the town. Don't know when you are intending to take your trip, but Chantilly would be very pretty in spring or summer. I visited with my daughter in early February this year, on a day so bitterly cold that the chateau's lake and canal were frozen. We were the only souls foolhardy enough to venture far into the gardens- it did not look its best in winter.

We couldn't face the hike back to the station in the cold - we obtained a phone number from the helpful person at the caisse at the main entrance and called a taxi, which arrived within 10 minutes.