We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lunch at Eiffel Tower

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
TN
Lunch at Eiffel Tower

I search for this topic - there is one but it was closed.

Being an American and having no clue about French food. What would you recommend eating, and/or staying away from?

Also, is there shopping at the Tower? We will be on a tour with a cruise ship and will not have much time - I am looking for one of those bags with PARIS all over it. I know it may be cheesey, but my step-daughter is in LOVE with France (even though she's never been there) and I would like to get her one of those bags along with a Christmas ornament of the Tower. Can I get these around there?

Thank you!

los angeles
reviews: 41
1. Re: Lunch at Eiffel Tower

Gifts can be purchased there, yes--you can even order online:

www.boutiqueofficielle-toureiffel.com/fre/

Anacortes...
reviews: 5
2. Re: Lunch at Eiffel Tower

There are two restaurants at the Eiffel tower. The less expensive one is 58 Tour Eiffel, and the expensive one is Le Jules Verne. You can see both, and make reservations, on this English version of their web site: restaurants-toureiffel.com/UK/EIFFEL-TOWER-R…

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
reviews: 117
3. Re: Lunch at Eiffel Tower

Can buy souvenirs inside and near the Eiffel Tower, as well as near other popular sites... and bags with 'Paris' written all over them are quite common, often displayed outside souvenir shops, so don't worry.

There are many eateries and cafés and menus are posted outside so you can check prices and what's on offer before entering.

Guidebooks on Paris, especially larger ones, will have a section on food -- can check at bookshop/s or library.

Fullerton...
reviews: 1
4. Re: Lunch at Eiffel Tower

I had a late lunch at 58 Tour Eiffel on my first day in Paris and thought it was quite nice (although you probably need to factor in that I was in total awe of just sitting in an Eiffel Tour restaurant). I did try to get in to Jules Verne first but was told they book at least two weeks in advance.

...and I did find some cute, typical souvenirs in the stores there. I collect spoons (since I was little) and refrigerator magnets from everywhere I go. Yes, cheezy but that's part of the fun.

Oklahoma City...
reviews: 24
5. Re: Lunch at Eiffel Tower

Put your mind at ease. You will have no trouble finding any souvenirs no matter where you go in Paris. There are stands and shops everywhere. One thing I will warn you about is if you go up the Tower and find something you like in that shop, get it, it may not be in the shops on the ground.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
6. Re: Lunch at Eiffel Tower

Agree with Lesndave, they do sell some souvenirs inside the Eiffel Tower that I didn't see elsewhere.

TN
7. Re: Lunch at Eiffel Tower

Thank you for your suggestions. I will be in Paris in May 2012 on a cruise. Our tour is going to the Louve and then lunch at 58 Tower. Not sure if we will be served a buffet (since we are a tour group) or if we order something off of the menu. We won't know until we get there.

If we order off the menu - any suggestions? I know I will NOT be eating escargot.

I do know we only have 1 hour at the Louve. DH wants to see the Mona Lisa - the rest we can see on another trip. I'm more interested in the outside of the Louve - the architecture.

Glad to hear I can do some shopping at the Tower - my step-daughter will be very happy that I can get her something from there. Speaking of magnets - DH's mother asks us to get her a magnet from everywhere we go. We've been doing this for 2 years or so. We've been on 4 cruises in 2 years and been to alot of ports - she's going to need another refrigerator just for magnets ;o)

Again, thank you for your advice!

Edited: 8:51 am, October 26, 2011
Tampa, Florida
reviews: 9
8. Re: Lunch at Eiffel Tower

Relax - French food is not the combination of voodoo and incantations that it seems like you've been led to believe it is. Most of it is exactly the same stuff you eat on a regular basis, just with a different name. (Roasted chicken becomes poulet roti...beef stew becomes pot au feu or boeuf bourgignonne...nothing too exotic about those!)

Try the escargot - they're cooked in a lovely sauce of butter, parsley, garlic, and white wine -- name me something cooked like that that ISN'T tasty! Look at it this way -- if the rest of the room is eating it, the chances of it killing YOU are pretty small.

And remember -- they're going to stay very safe and very middle-of-the-road with a tour group -- there's no chance you'll sit down to a meal of brains and intestines as a part of a group -- you'd have to go out of your way to even find that on offer in most Parisian restaurants.

Today's online menu for 58 Tour Eiffel reads thus (subject to change without notice, just a sample, etc., etc, etc.):

Choice of appetizer:

Parisian salad with ham and Comte cheese (like Swiss)

Grape tomatoes with mozzarella and balsamic vinaigrette

Marble (layers) of duck and foie gras with a crispy salad

(Dismiss now the thought that foie gras resembles liver in any way)

Choice of main plate:

Grilled salmon with broad bean risotto

Macaroni with wild mushrooms and bacon

Chicken fricasee with fresh vegetable of the day

Choice of dessert:

White cheese (think a sweet, smooth cottage cheese) with red fruits

Some sort of crispy pastry (shaped like the tower) with chocolate filling

Cheesecake "our way" (usually means the topping hasn't been decided yet)

There's nothing exotic or strange about anything on that menu -- it's very, very SAFE.

It might help you to look at this patriciawells.com/glossary/french_english_fo… , which many people download to their iPod, iPhone, or Kindle, for reference without connecting to the Internet.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
9. Re: Lunch at Eiffel Tower

The 58 Tour Eiffel restaurant has menus in English I'm sure. They will probably serve a set 3-course lunch, with a couple of different starters and mains that you could choose from.

The Louvre has a good website that can help you prepare your visit:

http://tinyurl.com/3nkl2km

Edited: 10:10 am, October 26, 2011
TN
10. Re: Lunch at Eiffel Tower

That menu sounds good. I would get:

Grape tomatoes with mozzarella and balsamic vinaigrette

Macaroni with wild mushrooms and bacon

Chicken fricasee with fresh vegetable of the day

Some sort of crispy pastry (shaped like the tower) with chocolate filling

You can never go wrong with chocolate!! Ok, now I'm hungry. ;o)