We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Not what I feared...needless worrying

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
St. Petersburg...

I just wanted to say after reading all the posts about thieves in Paris I was dreading my vacation. I had visions of everyone trying to tackle me and steal my money.

Please, if you are worrying as I was, there is nothing to worry about.

Yes, I saw all the "tricks" I read about, but very easy to avoid.

I could have been in any other big city. It is all common sense. Be aware of your surroundings as you would anywhere.

My family had a very enjoyable time, and we never encountered anything that frightened us.

I just don't want anyone stressing about it like I was as it took away from my excitement of planning my trip.

We rode the metro with zero problems and went to see the sites without any trouble. If you have ever been to a city, be it New York, San Francisco, it is all the same as far as people go. Good ,bad, etc.

Have fun!

436 replies to this topic
Buffalo, New York
reviews: 15
331. Re: Not what I feared...needless worrying

I agree! I just returned (a few days ago) from London and Paris. Having followed this topic on Trip Advisor, I was we'll aware of what scams to watch out for. I didn't see any sign of this behavior in London, but it is quite common in Paris! The Gard du Nord (Eurostar Train Station), the area around the Eiffel Tower, The Louvre, and near the River Seine (we walked across a bridge near the Tuillerie Gardens on our way to the Musee de Orsay.). We saw the girls with petitions AND the girls pretending to "find" a gold ring - exactly as described here! Just keep your valuables close to your body and firming say, "Non!" to anyone who approaches you....they will move on to an easier, less aware mark! Enjoy your trip and don't worry so much - just use your big city smarts and you will be fine!

Edited: 5:20 pm, July 27, 2013
Chattanooga...
reviews: 2
332. Re: Not what I feared...needless worrying

I too have been worried about my upcoming trip. I want to relax and enjoy, not stress. Thanks for posting.

Kansas City...
reviews: 37
333. Re: Not what I feared...needless worrying

I just wanted to say how accurate this heading is!

For everyone and anyone that might be thinking about or already have a trip planned to Paris and are somewhat worried, stop it right now.

We (wife and I) just retuned from Paris, actually the whole of or most of Europe (first time to Europe too) and it was beyond fabulous. 17 days, 7 countries and not one single solitary problem. Paris was a big concern for me before we left and as I was planning the trip. I just didn't have a good feeling for some reason. I think a lot of it was that living in the Midwest of the US, we had not ever really spent anytime getting around a big city on a subway system if ever and I was scared of the Paris Metro system. Not only did we conquer it but we enjoyed it, getting around the city that way for days to various sightseeing destinations. It was every bit as easy as London's Tube system. And, again let me say I personally even never been on a subway and my wife maybe 2 or 3 times in Chicago or NYC. Even the language barrier that I had anticipated was no where near as I expected. Oh sure, it's difficult at time in speaking with someone but as long as you talk slow, and listen intently as they speak it's not a problem. Most all signs everywhere have some form of English on them and if not, somehow you can still manage to understand. It truly was.......Not what I feared and was needless worrying.

Edited: 10:30 am, July 30, 2013
Greensboro, NC
reviews: 13
334. Re: Not what I feared...needless worrying

Thank you so much for posting this! My husband and I are going to Paris at the end of this month, and the more trip reports I read, the more I'm dreading the trip. Of course, I read the same warnings before our trip to Italy last year, and, like you, we saw some of the tricks, but felt perfectly safe. It's good to know that being aware of our surroundings is the key!

Greensboro, NC
reviews: 13
335. Re: Not what I feared...needless worrying

Thank you so much for posting this! My husband and I are going to Paris at the end of this month, and the more trip reports I read, the more I'm dreading the trip. Of course, I read the same warnings before our trip to Italy last year, and, like you, we saw some of the tricks, but felt perfectly safe. It's good to know that being aware of our surroundings is the key!

Edited: 9:46 am, August 01, 2013
San Diego...
336. Re: Not what I feared...needless worrying

B N - It's interesting that you mention the marble staircases. Last year a friend and her husband went to the Olympic Games in London. Then a driving trip in Ireland and a couple of days in Edinburgh and then to Paris. The first morning after they arrived they went to the Louvre. After a couple of hours she was walking down a staircase an broke her foot. She said she didn't fall but her foot slipped off of one step to the step below. They had planned on going back to London to attend some additional Olympic events so the rest of their trip was ruined. First time to Europe for both of them.

Regarding Motor Bikes - On one of my trips I had just arrived in Paris and a taxi took me to my hotel. It was on a very narrow street with parked cars on both sides and only enough room for one car to drive down the street. I opened the taxi door and 'wham' a Motor Bike hit the door. The driver didn't seem too bothered but I was horrified.

On another trip I was sitting at an outdoor cafe and I heard a smash and a motor bike and a car had collided.

And, I'm like you. I've never been approached by any of the scammers on any of my trips. Oh, well petition girls have but I just ignored and kept walking.

Singleton, Australia
337. Re: Not what I feared...needless worrying

What are the tricks of the trade for Paris ? Im traveling soon and Iam feeling the same as you did.

Do I take my passport every place I go or put it in the hotel safe at the front desk? So many questions.

San Jose, California
338. Re: Not what I feared...needless worrying

I passed thru Charles De Gaulle airport on my return trip from Belarus. I had called AT&T prior to my departure to ensure I would have phone/text coverage in both Belarus and Paris. I had no problems in Belarus but when I got to Paris, my iPhone would not recognize any service there no matter what settings I changed or how many times I rebooted.

I was talking with another person who also had an iPhone and had the same issue (though with Verizon). Her sister (also Verizon) had an Android phone and had no issues connecting at all. Has anyone heard about iPhone issues in Charles De Gaulle airport?

LONG ISLAND, NY
reviews: 2
339. Re: Not what I feared...needless worrying

My husband, 2 teenage daughters and I just returned from Paris and unfortunately, we did have a problem.

We are New Yorkers, frequent travellers and have never experienced a problem at home or abroad until this trip.

Before our trip, I read all the forums and was up to date on all the scams and pickpockets. I figured if we stuck together and kept our eyes open nothing would happen. But I was wrong. We were taking a walk in

the gardens behind Notre Dame at noon when we were approached by teenage gypsy boys with the signature boards. Right away we told them no and kept walking, however, they followed us and circled

around my 17 yr old daughter. One of them put his hands in her front pants pocket and pulled out her phone.

She struggled with him and my husband pushed him causing the phone to drop. My daughter was then able

to retrieve it. By this time we had made a scene and the decoy (an older gypsy man) blew a whistle and the

boys ran out of the park. However, in a crowded park not one person came forward to help. We were shaken by this incident especially my daughter. It did not ruin our trip, we still enjoyed the rest of Paris which

is one of the most beautiful cities in the world. Unfortunately, as much as I thought this would not happen to

us it did. We were very luck no one was hurt and that we still had our phone. I do hope that the police begin to do something about this increasing problem.

Anacortes...
reviews: 4
340. Re: Not what I feared...needless worrying

So very sorry this happened to you and your family!!!!

Reply to: Not what I feared...needless worrying
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted