We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Not what I feared...needless worrying

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
St. Petersburg...
Not what I feared...needless worrying

I just wanted to say after reading all the posts about thieves in Paris I was dreading my vacation. I had visions of everyone trying to tackle me and steal my money.

Please, if you are worrying as I was, there is nothing to worry about.

Yes, I saw all the "tricks" I read about, but very easy to avoid.

I could have been in any other big city. It is all common sense. Be aware of your surroundings as you would anywhere.

My family had a very enjoyable time, and we never encountered anything that frightened us.

I just don't want anyone stressing about it like I was as it took away from my excitement of planning my trip.

We rode the metro with zero problems and went to see the sites without any trouble. If you have ever been to a city, be it New York, San Francisco, it is all the same as far as people go. Good ,bad, etc.

Have fun!

486 replies to this topic
Scotland
reviews: 30
1. Re: Not what I feared...needless worrying

Thanks for posting this. It's a shame that the needless worrying spoiled your anticipation of the trip, as no doubt it will for others after reading the warnings. So glad you enjoyed your trip.

Bolton, United...
reviews: 21
2. Re: Not what I feared...needless worrying

The voice of reason.

Sorry your anxiety spoiled the trip planning. Often this is just as good as the trip itself.

You will just have to return

Denise

Love fe England

Edited: 1:03 pm, July 31, 2011
Toronto, Canada
reviews: 4
3. Re: Not what I feared...needless worrying

Thanks for your post Temeyer! Glad you had a good time.

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 63
4. Re: Not what I feared...needless worrying

Thanks for posting this. We're leaving in 2 weeks and the anxieties are there about all the tricks, pickpockets, etc. I'll relax and just start to enjoy these next couple of weeks of planning.

Lincolnshire
reviews: 3
5. Re: Not what I feared...needless worrying

Most sensible post on the topic for a while. Thank you.

Hayti, Missouri
reviews: 30
6. Re: Not what I feared...needless worrying

Thank you so much for your very sensible post. Can we sticky this?

Nottingham, United...
7. Re: Not what I feared...needless worrying

Great post, same here, just posted on another thread. Just returned from 6 wonderful days in Paris, had a great time, used the metro each day, lines 1 and 7, and took sensible precautions. No problems at all. Would encourage anybody planning a trip to relax, take the same precautions that you would travelling in any foreign capital - leave passports at the hotel, don't take all money out every day, remove packs/bags on the metro and pack wallets in an inside bag pocket.

Paris, France
reviews: 32
8. Re: Not what I feared...needless worrying

Yes, I think people should stop worrying about what they leave at the hotel. Unlike the "pickpocket" threads, I have not seen any threads about "don't leave anything in your room -- they'll steal everything!" I always leave the important stuff (out of sight) in my hotel room and have never had the slightest problem. I leave my netbook open on the desk.

The less people carry out on the street, in any city, the less they have to worry about.

Vancouver
reviews: 4
9. Re: Not what I feared...needless worrying

My sister and I just returned from Paris. We saw lots of girls posing as deaf/dumb with their petitions and we saw a costumed man at the Eiffel Tower that tried to get tourists to pose with him for pictures while his friends got closer. We just ignored all of them and had no problems. We rode the metro and RER all the time and walked all over Paris both during the day and evening. We were vigilant and aware of our surroundings and took the advice to carry just what we needed for the day and a copy of our passport. I never felt unsafe and did not let any worries interfere with my enjoyment of Paris.

Fullerton...
reviews: 1
10. Re: Not what I feared...needless worrying

THANK YOU! Really appreciate you post. I had the same anxiety prior to my trip and within minutes of arriving, realized it was so unnecessary. I hope this keeps getting bumped up to the top of the threads for a long time.

Reply to: Not what I feared...needless worrying
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted