We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fake vs genuine Louis Vuitton - can u pls help?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Victoria, Australia
reviews: 4
Fake vs genuine Louis Vuitton - can u pls help?

Hi there - I've been given a purse, in a LV box, the purse was sealed in cellophane, there's a soft fabric envelope with LV on it - the purse is the blue fabric and inside is stamped in gold.. - actually there's a circle around the R

(R)

LOUIS VUITTON

PARIS

made in France

There's a number printed on the inside of the purse at the top of the back money section - M61164 and the gold corner protectors are also stamped LV

The box also has

LOUIS VUITTON

MALLETIERA PAARIS

MAISON FONDEE EN 1854

It looks pretty authentic to me..

However, I can't for the life of me imagine that I'd be given an original (it was a Kris Kringle gift - maybe they didn't know the value?)

Can anyone help with this?

Thanks

Sandra

France
11. Re: Fake vs genuine Louis Vuitton - can u pls help?

LVs in blue denim? Hm... very suspicious.

Plus, malleteria...

But then, I am not LV fan and don't pay that much attention to their collection.

paris
reviews: 2
12. Re: Fake vs genuine Louis Vuitton - can u pls help?

Yes maleteria sounds more italian than French, and Vuitton wouldn't put two A in Paris?

Never heard of blue denim, i think i only ever saw the classic brown, then the same with cherries, and the white-coloured designs. But then, i don't know much...

paris
reviews: 2
13. Re: Fake vs genuine Louis Vuitton - can u pls help?

I just checked on the french site and they seem to have denim articles, which i had never heard of! this is the site : http://www.louisvuitton.com/web/flash/index.jsp;jsessionid=SXBLCZWRJZM0ECRBXUCFAFIKEG4RAUPU?buy=1&langue=fr_FR

France
14. Re: Fake vs genuine Louis Vuitton - can u pls help?

Bravo, raphy.

Sandra should be able to compare her bag with the LV site regarding those small details. Also, fakes are often models that don't exist in the original collection.

Hove, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for London, Brighton
reviews: 17
15. Re: Fake vs genuine Louis Vuitton - can u pls help?

Sandra, here's a post from mypoupette.com that should help:

Dear Poupette:

I have recently begun to establish myself as a buyer/seller of authentic Louis Vuitton products. My interest actually began in the late 1970's when I went on a class trip to France and Belgium. I was given a list of Louis Vuitton items to buy for my mother and a neighbor. I ended up purchasing 2 items for myself as well, and the love affair began. That was 1979, when I was 16 years old! Believe it or not, the 2 pieces I bought for myself are still in excellent condition, as are the ones I bought for my mother.

The reason I am writing is to offer your readers and members an alert to a rather obvious scam that is drawing in many unsuspecting buyers. It seems that when people see an item that comes with a box, they assume it must be the real thing. I cannot count the number of boxes I have seen that are misprinted!!! They are too light in color to start with, and they are imprinted:

LOUIS VUITTON

MALLETIERA PARIS !!!

The obvious flaw being the lack of separation between the "R" at the end of Malletier and the "A" which is its own word. It galls me that so many of them are running around. I deal exclusively on eBay for now, and they run rampant.

Thank you for allowing me to vent my feelings. I truly appreciate Louis Vuitton products for everything that they represent, and I thank you for providing a forum for those of us who care.

Sincerely, etc.

Paris, France
16. Re: Fake vs genuine Louis Vuitton - can u pls help?

Well done Artgirl.. In fact I thought that MALLETIERA sounds Italian but it is Malletier (luggage maker) à Paris..

Anyway it seems that we have the answer to the question now..

What is a Kris Kringle gift by the way ? I know some people who may be interested in knowing why they ofter illegal counterfeit and fake products.

Hove, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for London, Brighton
17. Re: Fake vs genuine Louis Vuitton - can u pls help?

Denys, a Kris Kringle gift (also known in the US & Canada as a 'Secret Santa' gift) is a gift that one receives without knowing who the giver is. Kris Kringle is another name for Père Noël - the name surfaced amongst the Pennsylvania Dutch in the 1820s, apparently.

New York City
18. Re: Fake vs genuine Louis Vuitton - can u pls help?

The denim is part of the newer collection...

New York City
19. Re: Fake vs genuine Louis Vuitton - can u pls help?

All you Paris locals: I was told at the Louis Vuitton store here in Manhattan that if you are seen in Paris with a fake designer handbag you can be fined a lot of money. Is this really true?

di

Hove, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for London, Brighton
20. Re: Fake vs genuine Louis Vuitton - can u pls help?

Di, this is from cigaraficionado.com/Cigar/…00.html

"Warning: If you should buy a fake Vuitton on your travels, don't take it with you to France. The company, in concert with other French makers of luxury goods, has successfully lobbied the French parliament to make the import of even one counterfeit article a criminal offense. No tourist has been jailed yet, but one importer caught with 10 bogus Vuitton products is doing time in a Gallic cell."

By the way, Interpol and other experts report in articles like this one - http://www.designerinspiredhandbags.info/ - that "the trade in counterfeit goods is based on sweatshops, virtual slavery and child labour, and is used to finance terrorism and organised crime." Food for thought for anyone tempted to buy counterfeit goods.