We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions on best place to meet friends at Canal St Martin

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Queensland
reviews: 34
Suggestions on best place to meet friends at Canal St Martin

Hi everyone, only 2 more sleeps to go, and I think I have just about everything sorted.

I just have (what I hope will be) one last question:

DH and I are meeting friends around the Canal St Martin on Sunday evening (around 6pm) and I was wondering what the best place to meet them would be. I have suggested the entrance to a metro station as a central point, but not sure which one!

We were hoping to have a nice scenic walk and then dinner.

Can you please recommend the best place to meet up?

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 2
1. Re: Suggestions on best place to meet friends at Canal St Martin

Hi. Stayed in the area recently and probably the closest metro station to Canal Saint Martin is Jacques Bonsergent. On leaving the metro station a two minute walk will take you to Rue Des Vinaigriers (on your right). Head down there, passing the Hotel Soft on your left, and right at the bottom of the street you'll come to the canal. After a stroll along the canal you could come back to Rue Des Vinaigriers and, close to the canal end of that street, is a great little place for food/drink - Restaurant de Bourgogne. Hope you find it all ok, and have a great time!

Edinburgh, United...
2. Re: Suggestions on best place to meet friends at Canal St Martin

Hi. Stayed in the area recently and probably the closest metro station to Canal Saint Martin is Jacques Bonsergent. On leaving the metro station a two minute walk will take you to Rue Des Vinaigriers (on your right). Head down there, passing the Hotel Soft on your left, and right at the bottom of the street you'll come to the canal. After a stroll along the canal you could come back to Rue Des Vinaigriers and, close to the canal end of that street, is a great little place for food/drink - Restaurant de Bourgogne. Hope you find it all ok, and have a great time!

Spain
3. Re: Suggestions on best place to meet friends at Canal St Martin

Chez Prune ( 71, quai de Valmy ) is one of the most typical spots on Canal Saint-Martin:

http://bit.ly/fdRKIm

Loire Valley
reviews: 6
4. Re: Suggestions on best place to meet friends at Canal St Martin

What part of the canal? It's about 5km long inside the peri, and by my caluculation has 6 metro stops along its length. You're probably best off looking at a map, deciding what part of the canal you want to walk along, then chosing your stop.

Queensland
5. Re: Suggestions on best place to meet friends at Canal St Martin

Thanks for your replies.

I have looked at a map Wiz, just not sure what the most 'scenic' place to see would be. We can meet at any metro station - I just thought that meeting at one would be as good a place as any.

I originally thought Stalingrad, after seeing a few pics of the area.

Edinburgh, United...
6. Re: Suggestions on best place to meet friends at Canal St Martin

Agree with Clicko - Chez Prune is worth a visit, and close to the places I mentioned in my previous post.

Paris, France
7. Re: Suggestions on best place to meet friends at Canal St Martin

Even though I didn't give any specific addresses, my canal St Martin photo report might help you find a spot -- www.anyportinastorm.proboards.com/index.cgi…

Frankly, I consider the Bassin de la Villette and the beginning of the canal de l'Ourcq at the Parc de la Villette to be part of the same unit, so my own suggestion would be to go to the Café de la Musique at Porte de Pantin and stroll back into the city along the water from there.

Mill Valley...
reviews: 10
8. Re: Suggestions on best place to meet friends at Canal St Martin

Chez Prune is the first thing that came to mind. It's right on the Canal and you can sit outside and people watch while you wait.

Arizona
reviews: 8
9. Re: Suggestions on best place to meet friends at Canal St Martin

Meet at metro Jacques Bonsergent. It is very small and it'll be easy to connect with your pals there. It's not much more than a 5-10 minute walk from the metro to Chez Prune,

Have fun!

Paris, France
10. Re: Suggestions on best place to meet friends at Canal St Martin

One thing that puts Chez Prune (almost) last on my list is that it is #1 on just about everybody else's list.

I've eaten there. Overpriced. People accepting the prices because they have been told it is the place to be. No return visit from me.