We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"1 Bathroom, 1 Half Bath" -- What does this mean?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Greenville, South...
reviews: 13
"1 Bathroom, 1 Half Bath" -- What does this mean?

Several properties I've looked at in Paris have this for the description when it comes to the bathrooms. There's a more detailed description, too, but it makes it even more confusing. It reads:

"To adapt to the American standard, we have converted the European bathroom information. The original information is : - Number of European bathrooms : 1 (can be with or without toilet inside) - Number of European shower rooms : 0 (can be with or without toilets inside) - Number of toilets : 1"

So, does this mean there's a full bathroom and a half bath or just one bathroom total?

reviews: 112
1. Re: "1 Bathroom, 1 Half Bath" -- What does this mean?

What I understand this means is that it's bathroom with bathtub only with toilet separate.

Edited: 7:08 pm, February 14, 2011
reviews: 112
2. Re: "1 Bathroom, 1 Half Bath" -- What does this mean?

Sorry. I reread the description. There's possibility that the toilet may also be combined in the same room with the bathtub (does not mention there's a shower).

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 48
3. Re: "1 Bathroom, 1 Half Bath" -- What does this mean?

a bathroom is for baths. it is common for bathrooms to not contain a toilet. when that is so the toilet is in a separate compartment. we have rented 8 different Paris apartments and they have been about 50 50 with bathrooms with toilet or bathrooms without and with separate half bath. the half bath usually is a toilet and a very teensy tiny sink

so I would read this as one bathroom without toilet and a separate toilet compartment. it is however always helpful to have good pictures before renting, particularly of the kitchen and bathroom.

Tampa, Florida
reviews: 7
4. Re: "1 Bathroom, 1 Half Bath" -- What does this mean?

I don't know if it's deliberate, but that is mind-bendingly vague.

I might email them and ask for clarification and pictures...but I'd probably just close that window and move on to a listing that wasn't so foggy.

Paris, France
reviews: 1
5. Re: "1 Bathroom, 1 Half Bath" -- What does this mean?

Full means bath or shower and toilet ; Half means only the toilet.

When you buy a house with 2 and 1/2 baths means 3 toilets 2 showers/baths. At least that's what I've been told.

Tampa, Florida
reviews: 7
6. Re: "1 Bathroom, 1 Half Bath" -- What does this mean?

Not necessarily. A half bath just means that *something* isn't there...but you have to ask to find out what (In the US, a half-bath frequently means just the toilet and a hand-wash sink)

Bedoin, France
reviews: 10
7. Re: "1 Bathroom, 1 Half Bath" -- What does this mean?

My understanding is same as Sunshines.

And I also agree with Sunshine, I'd just move on to find a listing or agency with less vague descriptions.

I also agree that no photos of the bathroom or kitchen raise flags for me.

Paris, France
reviews: 1
8. Re: "1 Bathroom, 1 Half Bath" -- What does this mean?

I meant in the US also.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
reviews: 575
9. Re: "1 Bathroom, 1 Half Bath" -- What does this mean?

Hi,

I would just email the company & ask " "1 Bathroom, 1 Half Bath" -- What does this mean? "

I find the easiest way to solve a problem is to just go direct to the source & say please explain.

Today people are relying toooooo much on the Internet - & should start again by just using a simple technology - the telephone to confirm reservations & your simple confusion.

Good luck ~!

Edited: 7:45 am, February 15, 2011
Greenville, South...
reviews: 13
10. Re: "1 Bathroom, 1 Half Bath" -- What does this mean?

Thank you for the replies. There are a few things I should clarify about the listing. The description of the bathroom that I posted wasn't written by the owner, but it's a standard "clarification" that's on several HomeAway.com properties. I think it's something the website includes to try and better explain the bathroom situation, but it obviously doesn't do that very well.

Second, the listing does have a picture of the bathroom (www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p659584a…), but it just shows a shower and a sink. I'm assuming there's at least one toilet in the apartment. It's just not pictured, I guess. I thought there might be a second half bath with just a sink and toilet based on the description that also wasn't pictured. I didn't take this as a red flag since some properties don't show every room in the house.

Ellemay, you're right about putting in the extra effort and just calling or e-mailing the property owner. This was kind of a random question I came up with yesterday evening, which was too late to call or e-mail someone in Paris and hope for a response. Since this description is listed on so many properties on HomeAway, I thought it might be an easy thing for someone here to explain.

I'll send an e-mail to the owner now and post what I hear back for future reference.

Edited: 8:32 am, February 15, 2011