We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

traveling to Paris from Germany

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 6
traveling to Paris from Germany

Trying to figure out most economical way to travel from Germany to Paris. Train tickets for family of 5 about 300 Euro. But I've heard it's a nightmare to drive IN Paris. Anyone have other suggestions? Are you able to long term park your car at the Disneyland Paris train station?

Leeds, United...
reviews: 53
1. Re: traveling to Paris from Germany

Depending on the age of the party, you can get the one way trip for €78, if you book in advance. It means taking a particular train but could be worth it.

reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/dn…

That might have expired by the time you get to it but it was a query based on 2 adults and 3 children aged 6-14. I think it's 89 days in advance that you can book.

Ohio, USA
reviews: 4
2. Re: traveling to Paris from Germany

It's really not at all difficult to drive into or out of Paris. What you do not want to do is use your car as a means of transportation within the city. However there are parking lots where you could leave your car while you use the métro and/or buses to get around. Parking in the center is expensive however. Why not find a hotel on the eastern edge of but within the city? Parking there would probably be cheaper and you would still be close to a métro station. You might look at the Hôtel de la Porte Dorée, a well reviewed and good value 2-star near the Bois de Vincennes. The hotel could advise you about nearby parking options.

http://www.paris-hotels-paris.com/

OTOH the fares Ailidh found for you are remarkably low. You'd probably spend that much in fuel and tolls alone between Heidelberg (which I assume is where you would be coming from...) and Paris.

3. Re: traveling to Paris from Germany

Is that 78 Euro there oneway for each person? Best I can find is 312 Euro round trip for all 5 of us. I just thought maybe I could do better driving to a station on the outskirts, then taking the train from there.

Leeds, United...
4. Re: traveling to Paris from Germany

No, that's for all 5, one way, based on the assumption of 2 adults and 3 children 6-14. It's the advance purchase price, which means you have to take a specific train.

I've just checked again in English, to make sure I understood and it gives me:

Travel data 5 travellers (Age: 36, 36, 8, 8, 8 Years), 2nd class

Outward journey Station/Stop Date Time Duration Chg. Products

Heidelberg Hbf

Paris Est Th, 12.11.09

Th, 12.11.09 dep

arr 09:14

12:49 3:35 1 S, ICE

Your offers for the selected connection

Special fares 2 nd class

Europa-Spezial Frankreich Number of tickets is limited, use of selected train is required 78,00 EUR Purchase

Obviously, I just made up ages and date/time.

5. Re: traveling to Paris from Germany

Unfortunately, 2 of my kids will be 15 by the time we leave, (14 at time of purchase, but 15 when traveling). We're over in Kaiserslautern. Checked the bahn website, and it looks like they have deals from Saarbrucken, which isn't too far, and we could leave from there...but I can't get the tariffs to show up when I try to book it. Might have to get help from a travel agent?

Leeds, United...
6. Re: traveling to Paris from Germany

Oh. Pity. It's a bit cheaper from Saarbruecken, 116 instead of 156. I guess that's 80 saved on the round trip but I don't know how that would stack against Paris parking.

7. Re: traveling to Paris from Germany

Are you saying from Saarbrucken its 116 each way for 5 people, so 232 Euro for all of us versus the 312 from Kaiserslautern? With the Euro/dollar rate, it's worth the 30 min drive to Saarbrucken if its that much cheaper. Not sure why it won't show me the tariffs, as I'd just book it online. When I tried, it said "unknown" then wanted my credit card number. I'm not booking without knowing the price! Thank you so much for your help! I know Paris is an expensive place, but trying to save where I can!

Leeds, United...
8. Re: traveling to Paris from Germany

How far in advance are you wanting to book? It won't let me look past 12.12.09 at the moment.

Seal Beach...
reviews: 4
9. Re: traveling to Paris from Germany

I am also traveil from Kaiserslautern to Paris (on 10/28). I went to the website for Bahn:

www.bahn.de/international/view/en/index.shtml

and punch in the following: 2 passengers at 45 years, two at 15 years and one at twelve. I used the date of November 12, as I wasn't sure what day you were traveling. I got a rate of 116 euros for your group, 2nd class on restricted fare (you must take a specific train). But it is on the high speed and only takes about 2 1/2 hours! There are several Kaiserslautern stations listed. I used the one:Kaiserslautern Hbf.

10. Re: traveling to Paris from Germany

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 11, 2010