We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many glasses are there in a bottle of wine?

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia
reviews: 3
How many glasses are there in a bottle of wine?

If I am in a bistro and I order a bottle of wine for my guests, how many glasses are there for a standard bottle?

Melbourne, Vic...
reviews: 260
1. Re: How many glasses are there in a bottle of wine?

A bottle of wine is 730-735ml, unless yoiu are bying wine per half or full litre, eg. house wine. These days, glass sizes can vary from establishement to establishment. Generally if you were to go in to a bar, cafe or hotel to buy a single glass of still wine, you could expect anywhere from 120-180ml to be poured in that glass.

I am sure you can do the math. A single bottle could suffice for 4-6 people depending on how it is poured.

paris, france
reviews: 11
2. Re: How many glasses are there in a bottle of wine?

hum normally first you don't fill entirely the glasses, it's not very good. and well here where i am we drink a lot, and a bottle of wine gives something like 7 or 8 glasses (half or 3/4 full).

ues, new york city
3. Re: How many glasses are there in a bottle of wine?

a 750 gives a good 4-5 glasses

paris, france
reviews: 11
4. Re: How many glasses are there in a bottle of wine?

woooooooooow this must be completely full glasses lol. last time i had 3 glasses of wine, let's say almost 3/4 full, and 3/4 of the bottle (750 mml) was still there, and i can assure you it's not only 4 glasses, but more 6-7-8.

Philadelphia
reviews: 3
5. Re: How many glasses are there in a bottle of wine?

That's interesting. I suppose the glasses of wine in Paris are smaller than the glasses of wine in America. But that's fine. It remindes me of Japanese food, which comes in smaller portions too but it is healthier for the body to consume in smaller portions, plus you appreciate taste better in smaller amounts.

Florida
reviews: 12
6. Re: How many glasses are there in a bottle of wine?

I just read in my food glossary that the French don't fill a glass more than 1/2 way.

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
reviews: 101
7. Re: How many glasses are there in a bottle of wine?

You don't want to fill a wine glass more than half full, because a true epicurean needs to be able to really give the glass a really good swirl on the table to get the wine fully developed. It'll go with your meal and everything else much better after this preprocessing. This is the case for red wines, especially good ones. That's why red wines are provided in wider mouthed glasses. You want to swirl it both before and after checking its aromas before actually drinking it.

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
reviews: 33
8. Re: How many glasses are there in a bottle of wine?

I'm glad I don't drink, this is too much to worry about.

UK
reviews: 10
9. Re: How many glasses are there in a bottle of wine?

It depends on how big the glasses are!!!!!!

ues, new york city
10. Re: How many glasses are there in a bottle of wine?

im sorry I MEANT CUPS... as in glasses of 8 or so ounces.

we own a restaurant and though we never serve over 1/2 the glass (except bordeaux glasses), we charge per 8 oz. servings if the wine is by the glass. (we measure it out with the ruler... a very european thing to do as well!)