We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris, At hread for the financially challenged

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bolton, United...
reviews: 21
Paris, At hread for the financially challenged

I have just seen this running on the London Forum.

Apologies to the original poster.

>>>I have decided to start this thread to allow people to post their thoughts on:

1. The very very cheapest places to eat

2. The very very cheapest tourist attractions

3. The very very cheapest places to stay

Now, when I say cheap, I'm thinking hostel cheap, I'm thinking sandwich cheap, I'm thinking catch the bus cheap, I'm thinking £5 theatre tickets - you see the way I'm going.

I think this would be a useful resource for the future - so anytime you do something spectacularly cheap and tremendously excellent, you should look up this thread and post it here.<<<

A quick search shows there isn't the same thread here.

I'ts such a good idea, please share your money saving ideas with everybody.

461 replies to this topic
Ontario
361. Re: Paris, At hread for the financially challenged

I spent quite a bit of time with dead people LOL. I visited all cemeteries except Pere Lachaise which I will leave for another time. The cemeteries are free, are park like with beautiful trees and nice and cool in the summer. As a bonus you can meet some very important people who are buried there. I loved the contrast for ex. In the Passy cemetery: Manet, Debussy and Njinsky and not far away the grave of the young flight attendant that died in the Concorde crash. I was, and still am very moved by that moment. No matter who we are, in death we are equal.

Midland, Michigan
reviews: 26
362. Re: Paris, At hread for the financially challenged

Corkscrews are most definitely allowed on an airplane.....

Allonsee
reviews: 4
363. Re: Paris, At hread for the financially challenged

Mine was confiscated.

Santa Monica...
reviews: 2
364. Re: Paris, At hread for the financially challenged

Which places do you reccomend

Anacortes...
reviews: 4
365. Re: Paris, At hread for the financially challenged

Whom are you addressing, Alexandria? Recommend what? If you want specific recommendations on something it is much more productive to start a new thread with your question. Your post here is buried at the bottom of a very long thread on other subjects.

jimbocelt1
reviews: 5
366. Re: Paris, At hread for the financially challenged

Hi, thanks for your information re. the walking tours. I seen on their website that the recommended tip is €12. Is that per person, or per couple?

Thanks, Jim.

Oregon
reviews: 11
367. Re: Paris, At hread for the financially challenged

jimbocelt1: the tours charge per person, not per couple--although I don't know which tour you are referring to. In any event, I don't think I've seen a tour that charges per couple.

San Francisco...
reviews: 1
368. Re: Paris, At hread for the financially challenged

Check out http://packershack.com/results/Paris/France It's a hostel comparison site.

Sacramento...
369. Re: Paris, At hread for the financially challenged

Wow! I just finished reading all the posts on this thread. Definitely an invaluable resource for budget travelers! Deepest thank you to the OP and all who have contributed great tips.

Today I found out there is free WiFi available in over 200 public places in Paris, including parks and museums.

paris.fr/english/english/how-to-access-the-w…

Paris, France
reviews: 5
370. Re: Paris, At hread for the financially challenged

The best place for a real meal and cheapest place would be the Student Restaurant: "Restaurant Universitaire" (RU) managed by the Crous.

They are open during weekday from 11 am to 2pm (close). In Paris only the Port-Royal RU do diner and WE brunch.

For 2013, Student price is 3.15 Eur, visitor price 6.60 Eur. If you look young they will sell you the student price. it's a 3 course meal : starter, meal, dessert, and extra dessert or starter for 0.55 Eur.

You will need to buy a Crous Card for 2 euro, it's a Moneo payment card.

Quality depends on the RU, some are very bad like the one located at Tolbiac, Port Royal is ok. Like for normal restaurant it depends on the cook.

Starter depending the RU, are self served (you got a plate which you can fill a mountain) some are already prepared. The RU in Censier is self served for some salad starter.

RU map

www.crous-paris.fr/articleSimple.asp…

Description of the RU (in French)

www.crous-paris.fr/article.asp?idcat=AAAA

Edited: 8:00 am, September 06, 2013
Reply to: Paris, At hread for the financially challenged
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted