We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris, At hread for the financially challenged

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
3,416 posts
20 reviews
Paris, At hread for the financially challenged

I have just seen this running on the London Forum.

Apologies to the original poster.

>>>I have decided to start this thread to allow people to post their thoughts on:

1. The very very cheapest places to eat

2. The very very cheapest tourist attractions

3. The very very cheapest places to stay

Now, when I say cheap, I'm thinking hostel cheap, I'm thinking sandwich cheap, I'm thinking catch the bus cheap, I'm thinking £5 theatre tickets - you see the way I'm going.

I think this would be a useful resource for the future - so anytime you do something spectacularly cheap and tremendously excellent, you should look up this thread and post it here.<<<

A quick search shows there isn't the same thread here.

I'ts such a good idea, please share your money saving ideas with everybody.

528 replies to this topic
ipswich england
Level Contributor
451 posts
1 review
1. Re: Paris, At hread for the financially challenged

This is a difficult one, it all depends how mean you want to be.

For eats I suppose the DIY picnic in a park is best, but weather dependant. Or the crepe stands, from which I have had excellent crepes. Or the filled baquettes from the local boulangerie.

Tourist attractions, several museums are free, the main monuments are free to admire externally.

Somewhere to stay is difficult, I always stay in the same hotel because it is a cheap two star. But very efficiently run and kept spotlessly clean. Last visit cost me 66 euros per night including breakfast so I think it is a bargain. Cheapness is not everything, a clean comfortable bed and a good shower are essential to me, and you are on holiday after all.

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
3,416 posts
20 reviews
2. Re: Paris, At hread for the financially challenged

Paris scenic bus routes. found on Bus websight

Line 38 runs North to South through the city centre and provides memorable views of the Latin Quarter, the Seine River, or Notre Dame Cathedral.

Line 68 offers a vantage of the Musee d'Orsay, Saint-Germain des Pres, the Seine River, The Louvre and the Opera Garnier.

Line 28 offers lovely views of the Ecole Militaire, the Assemble Nationale, the Seine River, Le Grand Palais, and the Champs-Elysees.

Line 96 goes through beautiful spots on the right bank, including Hotel de Ville, the Medieval Marais neighbourhood and trendy Bastille.

Line 22, 30, 31, 52, 73, 92 will take you to the Arc de Triomphe.

Line 27 has stops at Opera Garnier, The Louvre, Jardin du Luxembourg, views of Notre Dame Cathedral, and close stops for Sorbonne and Pantheon.

Line 42, 69, 72, 82, 87 will take you to the Eiffel Tower.

Does everbody know that museums are FREE 1st sunday in every month.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,300 posts
54 reviews
3. Re: Paris, At hread for the financially challenged

Musee Carnavalet has the best bang for no bucks or euros or pounds. I have spent the better part of several days there. All about Paris, the revolution, kings and its Roman past. The gardens are gorgeous as well.

Sandwiches from artisanal boulangeries taste the best and are the cheapest. Ile St. Louis has a couple and of course Berthilloin ice cream. Worth the couple euro splurge.

Another cheap attraction: the street markets. All have their own days, feelings and size. My favorites are Auguste deBlanqui (13th) and Richard Lenoir (3). Also the Market des Puces just outside of Porte Clingancourt. It has a rich history of being the place where people have sold their belongings for centuries. Only on weekends and Mondays.

A quick ride on the 63 bus will run you from Pt. Alma thru St. Germain to Cluny to Gare Lyon. 84 is nice too.

side note:grndma will you adopt me? I love your postings. Love to you and my real grandma in the US.

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
3,416 posts
20 reviews
4. Re: Paris, At hread for the financially challenged

Navrad and Flashby thats just the sort of thing we need.

Another one I've remembered....

Down the side of, and underneath, St Marie Madeline (famous church right in the centre of Paris 1st arrondisement) is a GREAT restaurant, VERY good food and main course cost us about 7 euros. Sorry I don't know the name but if you know it's there you can't miss it.

I think it probably started life as a soup kitchen, but don't let that put you off it really is a very nice place and has developed into a proper eaterie

Come on people more ideas please!

Level Contributor
157 posts
51 reviews
5. Re: Paris, At hread for the financially challenged

what hotel did you stay at? sounds like a great bargain.

London, United...
Level Contributor
471 posts
38 reviews
6. Re: Paris, At hread for the financially challenged

yeah navrad, the hotel sounds really good. please give us the name.

ipswich england
Level Contributor
451 posts
1 review
7. Re: Paris, At hread for the financially challenged

Well its not the first time I have reccommended this hotel here, and I doubt it will be the last.

Be advised that it is in the unfashionable 19e arrondisement, but 50 yards from metro Laumiere (3 stops on line 5 from Gare du Nord) and 300 yards from parc des Buttes Chaumont (the best parc in Paris)

Level Contributor
4,920 posts
60 reviews
8. Re: Paris, At hread for the financially challenged

I love the Musee des Arts Decoratif. Two years ago I had purchased a ticket in advance of my trip through FNAC only to arrive and discover that admission was free that day. (I had to return to FNAC and get a fluent French speaker to assist me in getting my money back.) I highly recommend this museum and their amazing temporary fashion exhibits. Find out when they are free and go then.

Paris parcs are free and amazing--Le Jardin du Luxemboug (watch the chess players playing); parc Monceau; parc Montsouris is just beautiful and has "talking benches"--it is a special project and fascinating; the Tuilleries; Palais-Royal garden is beautiful and great for people watching; Parc des Buttes-Chaumont, Parc de la Villette (home to Music Museum and Science Museum); La Promenade Plantee (the only above-ground promenade garden in the world--others are copying it; Parc Bois de Vincennes; Bois de Boulogne (especially Jardin d'Acclimation which is an amazing parc for kids).

Walk around and look for wall plaques of fascinating pieces of information about where famous people lived, etc.--Tolstoy residence (206 Rue de Rivoli) located by Angelina's. You can "bump" into these plaques all over the city.

Kiosque des Noctambules--ground level of Metro Palais Royal-Musee du Louvre. Decorative Metro entrance with glass colored balls.

Stravinsky fountains near the Pompidou Centre. Whimsical colorful fountains with many moving parts. It is the best fountain I have ever seen.

Le Viaduc des Arts--peruse the unusual artisan shops underneat La Promenade Plantee including the Musee de l'Argentiere.

Peek your head into Le Train Bleu (located inside Le Gare de Lyon train station) to see the amazing art nouveau decor.

Walk through the beautiful passageways including Galerie Vivienne.

Do the free 3-hour paris walk(s).

Walk through the Louvre de Antiquities across ffrom the Louvre. It is beautiful in there. While I was there last Sept '07 I saw a temporary exhibit on phonographs located inside and upstairs.

Musee de la Sculpture en Plein Air a series of sculptures at La Jardins...Tino Rossi near Ile de St. Louis.

During the summer there are lots of festivals in Paris

Visit Notre Dame--it is free (unless you want to walk upstairs and see the gargoyles and view--that costs money)

Visit churches including Sacre Coeur and many, many other amazing and beautiful churches in Paris

Walk in boulangeries and patisseries and look at the food art. By the way, the food art in these places tends to be very inexpensive for how beautiful it is.

Visit the tomb of the unknown soldier at L'Arc de Triomphe

Check out the La Defense area of Paris (west side of Paris) very different from the rest of Paris with interesting statues, etc.

Check out Bercy Village.

paris-walks.com tours are mostly 10E and fabulous for 2 hours of walking and learning

visit the cemetaries and explore. Cimetiere du Montparnasse is filled with literary greats, etc. I found a world champion chess player buried there too. Also Pere La Chaise is large and full of wonderfully famous people and stories (enter at the Metro Gambetta side so you are walking downhill in the cemetery). There are other great cemeteries too.

Visit the many outdoor street markets. Try free samples of goodies.

Check out the beautiful ceiling in Galeries Lafayette.

30 minute fashion show at Galeries Lafayette on Fridays at 3pm (need advance reservations acquired on line)

Louis Lepine Place near Notre Dame to see the beautiful flowers and on Sundays they add live birds and rabbits.

Walk around the various arrondissements as well as L'Ile St. Louis and Ile de la Cite.

Peek into Cafe des Deux Mouline, 15 rue Lepic near La Moulin Rouge to see where Amelie waitressed in her movie. (Don't eat here--it is suposed to be old and dirty)

Walk through some of the designer clothing stores as though you might actually buy something--eg Chanel, Dior, etc. They are amazing. So are the prices! I have bought makeup at Chanel though and it is fairly reasonably priced and really good quality.

Walk the Canal St.-Martin and watch boats go in and out of the various different-designed locks.

Check out the Artisan Well at Passy Square Lamartine. This is a chic area of Paris between 189 Av. Victor Hugo and 70 Ave. Henri Martin. Many people believe this water has healing powers. (Metro Rue de la Pompe)

Musee Edith Piaf (need appointment. call 01-43-55-52-72) donation only.

Drouot Auction House (world's oldest public auction house) to see real auctions going on. No charge.

There's a start.

Level Contributor
25,305 posts
5 reviews
9. Re: Paris, At hread for the financially challenged

>>>Does everbody know that museums are FREE 1st sunday in every month.<<<

(poke arond on this page for other Free days or times for other Paris museums & attractions)

In addition to this...ALL of the museums administered by Ville de Paris are FREE everyday

Antarctic Peninsula
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
3 reviews
10. Re: Paris, At hread for the financially challenged

In the supermarket, you can buy a bottle of wine for 2-3 euros. Smiles are free. Sometimes a waiter will give a cheerful smile and it will give you a good feeling. Sometimes a passerby in the street too.

Reply to: Paris, At hread for the financially challenged
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted