We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris 6 day itinerary

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne
reviews: 5
Paris 6 day itinerary

Hello everyone! I'm going to Europe in 2 weeks, and I'm really excited! I will be in Paris in early March, and have worked out a rough itinerary. I haven't been to Paris before, and would welcome any advice whatsoever. Thank you heap!

Thurs 6/3/08

Arrive Paris around 5pm

- check out Eiffel Tower coz our hotel is about 10min away

- river cruise

- Jadin du Trocadero

- dinner at Le7E Sud or Thoumieux

Fri 7/3

- Musee d'Orsay

- Hotel des Invalides

- Musee Rodin

- Place de la Concorde

- Jadin des Tuileries

- lunch at Lina's, dinner at L'Ardoise

Sat 8/3

- Versailles day trip

Sun 9/3

- Champse Elysee

- Arch de Triumph

- lunch at Kunitoraya or La Victoire Supreme de Coeur

- walking tour of Montmartre

- dinner and show at Mouin Rouge

Mon 10/3

- Louvre

- lunch at Market or Chez la Vieille or Le Petit Machon

- Picasso museum

- Pompidou centre

- dinner at L'Ambassade d'Auveryne or Chez Mariane

Tues 11/3

- Notre Dame

- Ste Chapelle

- lunch at Al Dar

- Latin Quarter

- Patheon

- dinner at Bonillon Racine

Please let me know what you think :)

San Francisco...
reviews: 25
1. Re: Paris 6 day itinerary

That looks quite reasonable and not too crowded and over-scheduled. Do leave yourself plenty of opportunities to just stop in a cafe for a cup of coffee (or glass of wine) and some people watching (which is "the best" in Paris).

While on your way to or from the Pantheon, take a detour through the Luxembourg gardens (just two or three blocks down from the Pantheon, and a convenient way to get back to the St Germain area from there). The trees and flowers won't be in their full glory, but it's still a lovely spot (the Medici fountain often has quirky art installations, as well).

While in the Latin Quarter, you might also want to check out the Cluny museum aka Musee du Moyen Age (quite small, not time consuming - the site of the "Lady and Unicorns" tapestries plus some old sculptures previously on the exterior of Notre Dame and the remains of Roman baths).

Have a great time!

Virginia
2. Re: Paris 6 day itinerary

i believe museums are closed on mondays including the louvre. you might want to switch your tues and mon schedules around.

Vancouver
reviews: 3
3. Re: Paris 6 day itinerary

I just checked and the Louvre is actually closed on Tuesday so don't make that change. The Musee D'Orsay is closed on Monday and the Pompidou Centre is closed Tuesdays. I don't know about the Picasso museum but you may want to confirm.

I second the suggestion to walk through Jardin du Luxumbourg. We walked through there and wound up discovering Saint Sulpice which is a lovely church (made famous in The DaVinci Code).

One of my favourite moments was sitting at an outdoor cafe in the shadow of Notre Dafe, enjoying a cafe au lait and a crepe watching the people walk by. That is Paris! :)

Have a great time!

Only 214 more days for me...

racergirl

Los Angeles...
reviews: 27
4. Re: Paris 6 day itinerary

And do not miss Berthillon ice cream and sorbet on the Isle Ste. Louis, outrageous explosion of fruit flavor.

Bolton, United...
reviews: 21
5. Re: Paris 6 day itinerary

Dear hotcillipepper,

The Louvre, Picasso museum and Pompidou centre in one day seems rather a lot to me.

We visited The Picasso museum in a morning (it is open on Mondays) but the others we took at least half a day each, and have gone back to vist since. The louvre has about eight miles of corridors so you could spend a full week there.

I soppose it depends how interested you are in art.

Look forward to your trip report.

Bon voyage

Melbourne
6. Re: Paris 6 day itinerary

Thank you all for your wonderful suggestions and best wishes! I'm very much looking forward to this trip, and will definitely share my experience with everyone when I get back :)

Brisbane
reviews: 9
7. Re: Paris 6 day itinerary

I'd be interested to hear how this all went!

Dallas
reviews: 1
8. Re: Paris 6 day itinerary

Hello-----did you do all that you wrote? How was it? I am going in July-I want to know how you found all of this and how did you know how to book with the seine river tour, etc Any help would be appreciated--it sounds like all of this is great! Laura

New Jersey, USA
reviews: 26
9. Re: Paris 6 day itinerary

"how did you know how to book with the seine river tour, etc Any help would be appreciated--it sounds like all of this is great!"

Laura,

I've done the Seine river tour (i.e. bateaux mouches) several times and never had an advance reservation. You just walk up to the kiosk along the river edge and buy a ticket for the next available time. I've done it both at night and during the day....definitely recommend the night cruise. "city of lights" really comes through...

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 102
10. Re: Paris 6 day itinerary

hotchillipepper, I hope you tried L'Ambassade d'Auvergne. We really enjoyed the lunch we had there in September last year. The lentils du puy with bacon, the beef fillet with marrow, the aligot... mmmmmm.

lauradallas: I'm a bit of an itinery freak - I tend to do quite (OK, very) detailed plans because I don't want to turn up at the Musee D'Orsay on the day it's closed (and the day my Museum Pass expires). I also hate the thought of wasting time trying to decide what to do with a day (and then even more time trying to find out where we need to go and how to get there).

Planning my third trip to Paris next year - this time a mother and daughter thing - and I highly recommend spending time checking out what's on when online. You can always decide to change things around - or even dump your plans for a day and just sit in a cafe - depending on how you feel at the time.

Very useful sites:

http://www.parismuseumpass.com/en/home.php (Details of all museums and monuments covered by the Pass - which is pretty much everything except the Eiffel Tower - including closing days)

www.v1.paris.fr/en/Living/markets/markets (Where the different markets are, and when)

http://www.ratp.com/ (How to get around Paris by bus, metro and RER)

You can also book Seine cruises online. Google "seine cruise."

Couple of tips:

If you're in Paris for all(or most) of a week, consider getting a Carte Orange. Unlimited public transport in the 20 arrondissements - though it runs Mondays to Sundays.

You can buy it any time, but be careful to specify dates or you could end up with a ticket you bought on a Saturday expiring the next day.

Take a passport sized photo to stick to the carte - the photo machines at the metro and RER stations just ate our euros.

Give youself at least two hours at each major site - 2 hours is usually as much as I can take before I museum out, anyway - and just concentrate on one wing of the Louvre.

Must see/do:

Musee d'Orsay; Musee Picasso; Musee du Moyan Age (go sraight to the Lady and Unicorn tapestries, unless you're really into the art and iconography of the Middle Ages); the Tombeau de Napoleon (amazing); Sainte-Chapelle (mind blowing stained glass); the Centre Pompidou.

Also: Picnic in the garden of the Musee Rodin; climb to the top of the Arc de Triomphe; climb the Tour Eiffel(it's great to get up close to the structure and to see Paris through it) then picnic in the Champ de Mars and watch the Tour light up; take the tour of the towers of Notre Dame, get an ice cream from Berthillon on the Ile St Louis; wander about Montmarte; explore the Marais and have luch at a cafe overlooking the Place des Voges; go to at least one farmers market; wander through the Place de la Concorde and the Jardin des Tuileries; walk along the rue de la Paix and the rue du Faubourg Saint-Honoré - visit the flagship Hermes store (it costs nothing to look).....