We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice needed from seasoned Paris visitors

Which Paris hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tampa, Florida
reviews: 8
Advice needed from seasoned Paris visitors

Hi, Can I please have the benefit of your experiences visiting Paris and get some advice on the best way to get around and enjoy our brief trip. We (2 adults and 2 children 13&15) are arriving via the EuroStar into Paris Nord at 1pm. We then need to get to the Hilton Arc de Triomphe Hotel. I am assuming we should use the Metro, is this best way to get there?

We only have two nights (used up all our points!!) and would like to see the following Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame & the Louvre. We have also been recommended a few places to eat; Dragons Elysees, 11, rue de Berri, L'entrecote on Rue Marbeuf, Deux Magots, and La Duree (I am not sure of the spellings).

My questions are what the best order to do these activities. We will only have the afternoon/evening on our first day. One full day, and then the next morning before we have to depart Paris. Is it possible to walk to all these places (we don���t want to rush about) or should I use the metro or bus to get about. Have you heard of these places to eat, do you know where they are?

Any advice/ suggestions would be welcome. Thanks.

ps: oh by the way we will be there end June beginning July

reviews: 112
21. Re: Advice needed from seasoned Paris visitors

You can cover all in one day. If you encounter a huge line to go up the Eiffel Tower, I suggest saving that for another visit. Les Deux Magots' food is actually pretty good. Their quiche is nice. Of course, you pay more than at an unknown cafe, but you can say you've eaten there. :) Laduree's pastries are well-known and are excellent. The macarons I personally don't care for due to the sweetness, but others say they are the best. They have two locations, one on the Champs Elysees and the other on rue Bonaparte in St. Germain.

To get to the Louve and Notre Dame you may want to take the metro as it's a bit far especially Notre Dame. We stayed in the 17th a few blocks from the Arc, and we walked to the Eiffel Tower without any problem.

SFpeninsula
22. Re: Advice needed from seasoned Paris visitors

radio 390,

As your time in Paris is very short, let me suggest that

the Louvre and Eiffel Tower are VERY time consuming.

You might consider the D'Orsay, Rodin or Cluny.

You mentioned Notre Dame, how about seeing St. Chapelle

while you are there (it is VERY close).

You can see a lot from a bus tour of the city.

The top of the Sanmartine has a wonderful panoramic

view of the city.

Your 13 & 15 year old might enjoy walking around the

Latin Quarter (5th) in the evening (blvd. St Germain/St Michel)

Best wishes

Tampa, Florida
23. Re: Advice needed from seasoned Paris visitors

Thanks again, some great suggestions. We have to go up the E.T. as my 13 year old daughter wants to mail postcards to her friends!! As for the Louvre we only planned on a couple of hours to see the main attractions.

"Your 13 & 15 year old might enjoy walking around the

Latin Quarter (5th) in the evening (blvd. St Germain/St Michel)"

Sounds interesting what would they see/do there?

We are now also interested in a river cruise and a friend said to try The Bateux Mouche -without the meal.........any thoughts.

Cheers.........

SFpeninsula
24. Re: Advice needed from seasoned Paris visitors

Good thought about limiting your time in the Louvre.

Since you want to see highlights, how about getting a

map, marking what you want to see, and trace out your

route. There are 10 miles of corridor so you don't

want to go the extra mile for nothing !

The Bateaux Mouche is a good way to see the Seine.

Find out how long and which route it will take. Can

be done during the day or evening w/o a meal.

The Latin Quarter comes (more alive) in the evening.

Poster Shops/other interesting shops, Ice Cream and Sorbet, great exploring, people watching, dinner, etc (a lot of people

hang there).

Your questions and planning are excellent; I know you

will all have a great time.

Tampa, Florida
25. Re: Advice needed from seasoned Paris visitors

Thank you Randy_Silver_Photo :-) I am trying to keep our trip interesting but not crazy. My goal is to give my children a "taste" of France and if they enjoy it then we can come back for a longer and more varied visit next time. I am lucky that I have my family in the UK so we can always pop over to Europe for an interesting jaunt!

Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
reviews: 14
26. Re: Advice needed from seasoned Paris visitors

Hi Radio - I know you already got my notes, but I agree with Randy regarding St. Chappelle. We didn't know about it on our first trip to Paris and it just happened that a friend was in Paris at the same time and took us there. It's definitely one of our must-sees. We're traveling to Paris in a couple of weeks with my sister and brother-in-law (their first trip) and we will definitely visit St. Chappelle on the first sunny day. It's not time consuming, but oh-so-worth-it!

Tampa, Florida
27. Re: Advice needed from seasoned Paris visitors

St. Chappelle had been added to our trip too... :-)......thanks again.

ps: this forum is so addictive!!

Sunny Isles Beach...
28. Re: Advice needed from seasoned Paris visitors

Hi I'm elliemae and I'm a tripadvisor junkie...................LOL