We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip to Corsica safety

Which Bastia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa
reviews: 1
First trip to Corsica safety

Hello travellers,

I am planning a first trip to Corsica , for next spring.

I know I still have plenty of time but I would like to know, from your experience, would Bastia and Calvi be a good choice ?

How about safety for a woman traveling solo ? I will look at a studio or a small apartment for accommodation. If you have any recommendation, I would appreciate if you could send me the info.

Thank you.

Masaryk

London, United...
1. Re: First trip to Corsica safety

Masaryk,

Congratulations on your choice to go to Corsica. Calvi is great but Bastia is not really worth it (same would apply to Ajaccio for instance - as a general rule, prefer small to big on the island). Safety is not an issue at all...well at least not more than anywhere else. For accomodation in spring you will have plenty of choices (only July and August are fully booked on the island) - have a look on abritel, homelidays and leboncoin to get a sense of what you can get for your budget in Corsica.

Enjoy Corsica!

VillaFanny

Corsica
reviews: 1
2. Re: First trip to Corsica safety

Hi there! We live in Patrimonio, so we're very familiar with the area...

I asked my wife if she would ever consider travelling around Corsica by herself, and she said no. (She's originally American, then lives in Canada for 10 years, and then finally in Corsica for the last 5 years.)

Then I asked her to imagine she was not married to a big strong (and handsome) guy like me, and pretend she was more of an "independent" spirit type of girl... She said... maybe.

She went on to explain that the possible "problem" is there are a lot of... shall we say... uh... "Redneck" Corsican men... who would probably really creep you out.

That is *not* to say they would attack you or anything like that... but more along the lines of that you would be very uncomfortable travelling alone with them in their car.

So... my first suggestion is *not* to hitchhike alone.

With regard to the area... I agree with the previous poster. Don't bother too much with Bastia. It's basically a big "city" by Corsican standards, and is not really a village where you would want to spend a lot of time.

But do plan to spend a day in the "old part" of Bastia. (This is the Place St. Nicola area, near the ferry port.) This is a nice area to walk around, people watch, see the shops, visit the old port, and get a feel for the vibe of the area. It will take you a few hours to walk around, have a coffee, etc.

After that... head out up the coast to the village of Erbalunga and a few of the other smaller villages along the side of the ocean there, then cut across Cap Corse, and then down the other side of Cap Corse to Nonza and St. Florent. Spend a day in St. Florent.. it's a charming little port village, and you can visit Patrimonio if you like wine and want to taste the best wine in Corsica (shhh.. don't tell the other wine makers! haha...) and then head off through the Desert D'Agriates to Isle Rousse and Calvi.

Or head into the interior of the island to Corte...

There are tons of nice small villages that have lots of character... but most or not easily accessible unless you have a car or strong legs and a bike.

Perhaps you could tell us how you plan to get around in Corsica, and we can help you plan a bit more appropriately?

(Also how long you will be here, what sort of things you want to do (beaches? walking? shopping? people watching? paragliding?, etc...)

3. Re: First trip to Corsica safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 pm, June 20, 2013