We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

World War 1 sites near Calais

Which Reims hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Worcester
reviews: 21
World War 1 sites near Calais

My wife and I will be driving back to Calais from the south of France in late June. Our plan is to stop off in Reims for a day to break up the journey. We want to visit the cathedral and a champagne house/vineyard. Whilst we are in the area, I feel we should also pay our respects to those who lost there lives in World War 1. Are there any interesting WW1 sites near Calais or near the route between Reims and Calais?

Thanks

3 replies to this topic
Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney, Berny Riviere
reviews: 37
1. Re: World War 1 sites near Calais

Vimy Ridge is literally just off the motorway between Reims and Calais and is really worth a visit

…wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_National_Vimy_M…

www.ww1battlefields.co.uk/others/vimy.html

But to be honest, if you look at any of the towns on the way up, you will see that they are mentioned in World War I history:

Laon, St Quentin, St Omer, Bethune, Arras etc.

England
2. Re: World War 1 sites near Calais

The Chemin des Dames (a road along a ridge) is one of the most moving places in the area I've been to:

http://www.chemindesdames.fr/

It's roughly between Laon and Reims. If you have time, at one end of the Chemin des Dames is the Caverne du Dragon (caves used amongst other things for military purposes including to hide soldiers).

Edited: 8:11 am, January 22, 2014
Worcester
3. Re: World War 1 sites near Calais

Sorry, accidentally posted in wrong forum

Reply to: World War 1 sites near Calais
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted