We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where can I book a sabrage lesson?

Which Reims hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Winchester, United...
reviews: 145
Where can I book a sabrage lesson?

I've booked to take my mum to epernay and reims for a weekend of champagne tours for her birthday. I originally looked at using a tour company but the price was very high compared to self drive and booking directly. One thing the tour operator did offer was a sabrage (cutting the cork off the champagne with a sword) lesson for my mum as part of a visit. I've emailed loads of places but none offer this. Anyone know where I can perhaps book something like this?

Thanks

15 replies to this topic
Paris, France
reviews: 4
1. Re: Where can I book a sabrage lesson?

I've never attempted this but I have some French friends who take a plain old kitchen knife and score a line around the neck of the champagne bottle and then give it a good chop to knock the neck off. My friends don't have any swords, however, and I don't know that they're giving lessons. You could buy a couple of cheap bottles of bubbly to practice with but careful you don't chop your fingers off. ;)

Tampa, Florida
reviews: 7
2. Re: Where can I book a sabrage lesson?

other than looking impressive, it also lets all the gas out of the champagne at once (yay, flat Champagne!) and leaves you with the potential of having tiny shards of glass in your Champagne.

Paris, France
3. Re: Where can I book a sabrage lesson?

It's also a shame to watch nice bubbly gushing out of the bottle onto the floor.

Winchester, United...
4. Re: Where can I book a sabrage lesson?

:-) apparently in one of the house (it might have been Moet) they give a demonstration of this being done at the end of the tour. It just sounded like a bit of fun and a surprise for her birthday, even if it was done on a very cheap bottle. I've planned in quite a few champagne houses so she'll have plenty of other places to drink.

So since perhaps you maybe know the area are there any good local places you would recommend for a tasting and even walking around the vines? We are going 30th March - 1st April which I know is the Easter weekend so perhaps local places would be closed, luckily I've checked with the famous houses and they are open. I don't actually drink champagne so I'll be driving which means it doesn't need to be in walking distance of the main areas.

Thanks

Paris, France
5. Re: Where can I book a sabrage lesson?

Check the Reims and Epernay tourist office websites for champagne info:

http://www.reims-tourism.com/

http://www.ot-epernay.com/

You can also look over the department website for Champagne-Ardenne which has lots of champagne info and details of following the champagne trail through the region:

champagne-ardenne-tourism.co.uk/default.aspx

One of our TA contributors has a great site about the Champagne area too:

http://www.champagnediscovery.com/#

Tampa, Florida
reviews: 7
6. Re: Where can I book a sabrage lesson?

Unless they've added it in the last couple of years, I know that Moet is not one who does a sabrage.

You won't be allowed to wander amongst the vines -- they're too valuable to risk any sort of damage. While I'm sure you'd take the utmost care, there are too many people who pick leaves, flowers, and grapes....so they just say no to everyone.

There's also really not much to see in the vineyards at that time -- there will be some budding leaves, but you won't even see full foliage yet (and as magical as they are, grape flowers are pretty unimpressive.....)

I wholeheartedly second all of the websites that FM posted.

Winchester, United...
7. Re: Where can I book a sabrage lesson?

Thanks all - I shall enjoy having a good read of these sites

Essex
reviews: 71
8. Re: Where can I book a sabrage lesson?

Have found this "outfit" with some googling, they are a confraternity in the UK but Sabrage is their "thing"

Might be worth your while contacting them to see if they can suggest anything....

http://www.goldensabre.co.uk/contact.aspx

Edited: 11:42 pm, February 21, 2013
9. Re: Where can I book a sabrage lesson?

Did you find somewhere that does this? I am also looking for a lesson.

I read online that there maybe lessons at the Phillippe brugnon estate, close to Reims

Indianapolis...
reviews: 56
10. Re: Where can I book a sabrage lesson?

When ever I see a TV program showing this it appears to be in bars not the houses/cellars, but I'm not certain.

I'm sure if anyone would know it would be Psychowarthog....he's the poster that has that great site Champagne Discovery.

Reply to: Where can I book a sabrage lesson?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted