We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Epernay to Belgium?? Please help!

Which Epernay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 1
Epernay to Belgium?? Please help!

Hi everyone,

I was planning on staying in Epernay for 3 nights and then going to Bruges, Belgium. However, it seems most of the trains backtrack to Paris and then head out from there. Is there any way I can avoid this backtrack? Or is there somewhere a little closer to Belgium I could stop for a night? I'm just eager not to be spending a great deal of time on the train, especially if there are several stops and changes.

Any thoughts, tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you :)

London, UK
Destination Expert
for Train Travel, Olympics
reviews: 174
1. Re: Epernay to Belgium?? Please help!

The route via Paris is almost certainly the fastest. However you could go to Reims and there get a train to Lille and then on the Belgium. I think that the trains from Lille to Antwerp (Anvers) goes through Gent where you could change for Brugge.

Chesterfield...
reviews: 17
2. Re: Epernay to Belgium?? Please help!

The Paris route is the quickest and easiest.

Other routes involve up to five or six changes of train (and/or station).

It could be a nightmare to co-ordinate the train times and any delays could leave you stranded miles from Bruges.

The only problem going to Paris is changing stations - but Paris Est and Paris Nord are only about fifteen minutes walk apart.

Line 4 on the Metro or getting a taxi might be a better bet than walking depending on how much luggage you have.

Saturday trains require an extra change in Bruxelles - all other days just the one in Paris.

Ohio, USA
reviews: 4
3. Re: Epernay to Belgium?? Please help!

Épernay to Brussels involves one change of train in Paris and can be done in a little over three hours. You will have to change in Brussels for the approximately one hour ride to Bruges, but you would have to do that in any case. The total travel time should be no more than 4.5 hours with good connections in Paris and Briussels.There is no other routing that even remotely makes sense. If you purchase your ticket before you travel you can save significantly on the fare especially since your Thalys ticket from Paris to Brussels will also cover your travel to Bruges at no additional cost. Use www.voyages-sncf.com, www.tgv-europe.com or www.thalys.com to book your travel and NOT www.raileurope.com. There is a useful guide on booking travel on European trains from outside Europe at www.seat61.com The least expensive option might be to book the Épernay-Paris leg separately. Note that you can only book up to 90 days ahead but should book as early as possible within that window to get the best fares.

From Gare de l'Est to Gare du Nord in Paris is less than a half mile walk. If you have more luggage than you can comfortably walk that distance with you should probably take a taxi. It would likely be at least as much of a hassle using the métro for the one stop trip as it would be to walk, if not more.

Edited: 6:31 pm, December 06, 2009
4. Re: Epernay to Belgium?? Please help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:23 am, June 05, 2010