We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tours for a week?

Which Tours hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Belfast
reviews: 57
Tours for a week?

Hi

Myself and family like to do city breaks that last for a week. We are, soon going to Krakow and have had good holidays in Toulouse, Albi. Santiago de Compostella and Girona to name a few. Would Tours be a good destination? I should add that we don't drive on holiday and like wondering about, relaxing and going out for dinner. There is a direct economical flight from Dublin and I have also found a nice gite in the old town with outdoor space.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Mick

3 replies to this topic
Paris, France
reviews: 30
1. Re: Tours for a week?

Go for it. Tours is in between Albi & Toulouse for size, so enough critical mass of things to see for a few days plus enough places to eat out for months. It is also on the TGV route (well, almost - mainline TGV station is 4kms out of town but has a rail link to Tours centre station), so Paris, Angers, Nantes, etc., are all doable as a day trip.

There are also the Chateaux of the Loire to visit, but most are best visited by car. I'm sure there must be coach rides to some of them.

(I didn't realise Tours had an airport, let alone international flights).

Belfast
reviews: 57
2. Re: Tours for a week?

Thanks for your advice.

Mick

Paris, France
reviews: 4
3. Re: Tours for a week?

If you like cities and you are relying on pubic transport to get around then Tours is the best place to base in the Loire since it is the transport hub for that region.

Look at this link and it will show a map of where all the trains go in that region. You can also use this website to search train routes and schedules for your journeys:

ter-sncf.com/Regions/…Carte_Flash.aspx

You can use these websites to search bus connections in that region. They are the websites for the various départements where you might travel:

Indre-et-Loire: http://www.tourainefilvert.com/

Maine-et-Loire: http://www.anjoubus.fr/

Loir-et-Cher: www.transports-du-loir-et-cher.com/index.php…

If you want to do some research on the region you can look at this thread which has links to all the major tourist office websites for that region as well as info about the châteaux to visit, wine, gastronomoy etc.:

fodors.com/community/europe/france-the-loire…

Reply to: Tours for a week?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted