We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best plan for car rental in Loire Valley (2 day trip)?

Which Tours hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 44
Best plan for car rental in Loire Valley (2 day trip)?

Hi everyone,

My boyfriend and I are travelling through France this August and we are spending two nights in Loire Valley. We will be stopping by on our way from Paris to Lyon.

Does anyone have any recommendations on whether we should:

a) Book TGV trains from Paris to Tours, and Tours to Lyon, and just rent a car in Tours itself?

OR

b) Rent a car from Paris, and just drop it off in Lyon?

Another questions is for car rental, should we:

1) book early ahead to get the best possible deal (We are quite budget conscious!)

OR

2) just wait till we get to the city and rent while we're there.

Any tips on car rental companies (which you recommended, and which to avoid) would be very helpful for us as well.

Thanks!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
1. Re: Best plan for car rental in Loire Valley (2 day trip)?

Train travel is much faster and less stressful than driving. If you book well ahead of travel, it will also cost less. For the best prices, book direct with the train operator as far ahead as possible. Tickets go on sale 3 months before travel, and the cheapest tickets often sell out quickly. Prices keep going up as the travel date gets closer.

You can get train times and costs, and make bookings, in English at www.tgv-europe.com/en but use Antarctic as the "Ticket collection country" in the first screen to avoid being transferred to RailEurope, which has higher prices and does not list all the trains. For notes on online booking, see www.nickbooth.id.au/Tips/FrenchTrain.htm

Please do not ask the same question twice: it just causes confusion. For your set of questions on car rental, see the responses to the identical questions in your other thread: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1904062-i21627-k6…

Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 44
2. Re: Best plan for car rental in Loire Valley (2 day trip)?

Thanks for the help! I actually asked this question in the Loire forum by accident so sorry for the repeat!

I think we will decided to take a train to the TGV in Tours like you recommend, and I'm looking for some good prices to book in advance. :)

3. Re: Best plan for car rental in Loire Valley (2 day trip)?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 17, 2014