We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay close to Tours, want Chateau style though

Which Tours hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 13
Where to stay close to Tours, want Chateau style though

We will be in Paris for 4 full days then traveling onto Loire Valley for 4 full days (changed itinerary due to forum responses, thank you!) We really really want to stay in one of the Chateau. We want to stay in Tours and I know there aren't any there. Are there any that are reccommened that are very near Tours? Would it still be very easy to pop in and out of Tours from there? We want cafe's, restaurants etc. since we have 4 full days there now. Originaly it was only 2 days, then onto Burgundy, so we were going to stay in Amboise. I found a few places outside of Tours, but are afraid they are further than I think. Want to be able to drink wine with dinner and drive/cab back to hotel.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 13
11. Re: Where to stay close to Tours, want Chateau style though

OK, maybe we should change the plans.

2 nights in one town in the Loire Valley (getting there from Paris one day, so arrive early afternoon), then one full day there and stay in Chateau in this town.

Then go onto Tours for 3 nights, first day is travel day there - arrive around noon, then 2 full days there, next day travel back to Paris for one night to fly out the next morning.

Is Blois area then the best choice for the first two night? Any reccomendations on a nice Chateau near there.

Originally we were just going to stay in Amboise, but comments from our first questions on a forum all said to stay in Tours.

Dublin, Ireland
reviews: 8
12. Re: Where to stay close to Tours, want Chateau style though

Hi,

I didn't stay in a chateau, but am just back from 10 days, staying in Blois, Amboise and Tours (we were cycling thus the close locations). I would recommend staying in Blois or Amboise rather than Tours. They are both on the trainline from Paris. There is still plenty of choice of restaurants (and really good choice) in both, but they are both really nice, have a chateaux each to visit in the town, and are a short drive (in our case a cycle) from a number of other stunning chateaux to see. Tours on the other hand is a rather unremarkable town.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
reviews: 4
13. Re: Where to stay close to Tours, want Chateau style though

<<Tours on the other hand is a rather unremarkable town.>>

Just curious but did you actually see Place Plumereau, eat at a restaurant on rue Colbert, or go to any of the museums in Tours?

San Francisco...
14. Re: Where to stay close to Tours, want Chateau style though

I have stayed at Chateau du Portail many times. It is located in Monteaux, very close to Amboise. I know the owner very well. My experience has been so wonderful that I have volunteered my services and act as a pseudo representative. Our stay has always been fabulous and quite special. You can find it on this site or on facebook. The Loire Valley is a magical part of the world, have a great trip!

Edited: 4:28 pm, May 13, 2010
salisbury, uk
reviews: 1
15. Re: Where to stay close to Tours, want Chateau style though

Great revue, and very helpful but, please, please, please, don't say "a chateaux"! "Chateaux" is the plural (more then one) of chateau, and our French friends will weep buckets if you get it wrong! Sorry for the sermon!

Have "a super holidays"!

Poole

16. Re: Where to stay close to Tours, want Chateau style though

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 10, 2011