We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best cathedral cities

Which Chartres hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
best cathedral cities

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:46 pm, September 16, 2013
Essex
reviews: 71
11. Re: best cathedral cities

NB the 'old town' area in Amiens is the Quartier Saint-Leu, not 'Saint Lo' as I have written in post #2, please forgive my bad memory!!

St Lo of course, is a town in Normandy and thus nowhere near Amiens.

Thinking of Normandy though, some nice Cathedrals 'with towns' you might enjoy include

Bayeux

Coutances

Rouen

and Lisieux (which is a major place of Pilgrimmage - and does not have a Cathedral but a Basilica devoted to St Theresa)

Caen - but the city has been 'knocked about a bit'!

England
reviews: 20
12. Re: best cathedral cities

Lisieux has a very fine old cathedral - St Pierre, which is different from Basilica of Ste Therese which is relatively new.

England
13. Re: best cathedral cities

In Southern Normandy there is Sees cathedral. I have not visited yet, but I have seen its impressive outline from the A28 motorway and may well stopover to visit it properly next time we travel that way. It is said to have amazingly beautiful windows.

www.alis-sa.com/gb/visiter/CathedraleSees.php

Essex
14. Re: best cathedral cities

Oh dear, I am getting worse!! ;-p

Essex
15. Re: best cathedral cities

The Collegiate Church at Mantes-La-Jolie is very 'Cathedral like' and might interest you - not far from Paris, you can do a day trip to see it if you wish:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notre_Dame_de_Mantes

Edited: 8:34 am, August 19, 2012
London, UK
Destination Expert
for Train Travel, Olympics
reviews: 190
16. Re: best cathedral cities

Earlier, I concentrated on cathedrals in small towns, like Chartres. Among my favourite Cathedrals is that in Metz, which is both a magnificent medieval structure but also has some superb modern stained glass. For a setting Le Mans takes a bit of beating.

England
17. Re: best cathedral cities

I agree with railtraveller that the original question was about cathedrals in pretty small towns like Chartres, which is why I suggested Senlis in my very first post.

But if we are not talking exclusively about cathedrals in smaller towns, then Notre Dame in Paris must also be included.

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
reviews: 37
18. Re: best cathedral cities

The above post gave me a wonderful image of tourists stapled over the stained-glass windows.

menlo park, ca
reviews: 69
19. Re: best cathedral cities

how about Strasbourg and Bourges? But i agree that Amiens is the best.

California
reviews: 64
20. Re: best cathedral cities

Troyes, Auxerre, and Bourges - I've enjoyed visiting both the cathedrals and towns themselves. I visited the cathedral in Troyes during a Sunday service and the organ is fabulous.