We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting married in the Dordogne

Which Dordogne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Getting married in the Dordogne

Hi everyone

My fiance and I are thinking of getting married in the Dordogne and wondered if anyone knew of any chateaux which could fit with our criteria:

- beautiful countryside, romantic setting

- sleeps 20-40 people but accommodates reception of 100

- option of sorting all the details yourself (catering, supplying the wine etc) - or at least some of these.

- not necessarily cheap but good value for money

Also, any tips on how to sort the details would be great. We are french speakers but don't have the first clue as to how to organise a beautiful wedding in the Dordogne!

Thanks in advance

Lizzy

10 replies to this topic
Paris, France
1. Re: Getting married in the Dordogne

I have attended a wedding at Bergerac and it was lovely. However we didn't sleep at the château so I don't know if they have rooms on site but there are a lot of websites specialized in wedding venues where you can enter all your criteria. I will see if I can post a few links.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Dordogne
reviews: 4
2. Re: Getting married in the Dordogne

Is this going to be a legal wedding? There are some onerous requirements to meet, as is always the case when dealing with the French bureaucracy. Such as you'll need to live there, legally, for at least a month in advance. To whet your appetite, you can start here:

ambafrance-uk.org/…12146

Champlon, Belgium
reviews: 5
3. Re: Getting married in the Dordogne

Nice idea but have you checked out the legalities?

You might be able to arrange a "celebration of marriage" somewhere, but you will have to actually marry where you live in the UK first.

France, like most European countries, only marries its own residents - at a civil ceremony in the "town hall" of the commune in which one or both live.

Paris, France
4. Re: Getting married in the Dordogne

Since you speak French, it should be easy for you to sort out through these sites:

http://www.1001salles.com/salle/Default.aspx

http://www.abcsalles.com/prive/fr/prive.php

Or just google mariage château Dordogne or réception château dordogne and you'll find a lot of châteaux that specialize in weddings.

London, United...
5. Re: Getting married in the Dordogne

Sorry, should have specified - we'd get married in the uk then have a blessing/celebration in France.

Thanks for the advice so far!

London, United...
6. Re: Getting married in the Dordogne

Sorry ladies, I should have specified - we'd get married in the uk then have a blessing/celebration in France to avoid the hassle.

Thank you Mrs FM that would be great!

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Dordogne
7. Re: Getting married in the Dordogne

Do you have any actual personal connections with the Dordogne? Otherwise, this would seem strange to me.

London, United...
8. Re: Getting married in the Dordogne

Hi St Cirq. Thanks for your comment - we have family in Paris and the Dordogne region means a lot to our family. Hopefully that's a good enough reason!

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Dordogne
9. Re: Getting married in the Dordogne

Sounds good enough to me. So you just want a pretty place for a party...

You might want to contact Philippe et Armelle Constant at the Château de Cazenac in Le Coux et Bigaroux.

www.cazenac.fr

Hertfordshire
reviews: 11
10. Re: Getting married in the Dordogne

Hi Lizzy

I have just returned from my own wedding at Chateau de Cazenac. This place is AMAZING. The main chateau sleeps upto 60 people and has additional gites for extra accomodation. We kept the chateau for family and friends stayed locally at The Chambellan, L'Escale, Ferme de Lagrave.

We don't speak French and thought organising a wedding in a different country would be rather stressful so we used a wedding planner, Marry Me In France. They did an absolutely fantastic job. They gave us a list of suppliers and we made our selections. We went back in April to sort out final details and met most of the suppliers whilst there so on the day, we knew everyone who would be part of our special day. There is a wine cave in the local village who do sale or return which was excellent.

You have made an excellent choice of the Dordogne for your special day.

Reply to: Getting married in the Dordogne
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted