We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help me choose itinerary for walking tour in Dordogne

Which Dordogne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Haven
Help me choose itinerary for walking tour in Dordogne

Hello!

I am considering doing a self-guided walking tour in the Dordogne this coming July. We are currently trying to decide between two itineraries offered by Inn Travel.

The first covers Beaulieu, Port de Gagnac, Loubressac, Gouffre de Padirac, Carennac, and Giuges.

The second goes through Meyronne, Lacave, Blanzaguet, Calès, Treyne, and Rocamadour.

Which one would be a better way to get to know the area?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

1. Re: Help me choose itinerary for walking tour in Dordogne

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:35 pm, March 08, 2014
Tampa, Florida
reviews: 9
2. Re: Help me choose itinerary for walking tour in Dordogne

Zampano, do realize that these are fairly concentrated areas of the Dordogne -- and both of these take you nowhere near the sites that folks commonly associate with the Dordogne.

But given a choice between the two, I'd take the second one -- it winds through some stunningly pretty landscape, although you'd best be in at least decent physical shape -- there are a LOT of hills in this area, and walking is not for the timid nor out-of-shape.

New Haven
3. Re: Help me choose itinerary for walking tour in Dordogne

Thank you, bkoerts and Sunshine817. I have looked further into this and based on similar advice, have decided to do a self-guided road tour in which I'll include many walks, based off Sarlat. Cheers, --Z

Le Bugue, France
Destination Expert
for Dordogne
reviews: 4
4. Re: Help me choose itinerary for walking tour in Dordogne

A lot of those places aren't even IN the Dordogne, and I agree that they bypass most of the things that most people really want to see on a trip to the Dordogne. A tour based out of Sarlat sounds better - where will you walk around the Sarlat area?

New Haven
5. Re: Help me choose itinerary for walking tour in Dordogne

Hi StCirq, we haven't decided any particular walks around Sarlat, but we purchased the "Walking in the Dordogne" guidebook by Janette Norton. Any suggestions?

Le Bugue, France
Destination Expert
for Dordogne
reviews: 4
6. Re: Help me choose itinerary for walking tour in Dordogne

Sounds like a good start. You might also check out the Grande Randonnées website and maybe buy a map or two. The thing is, you really don't want to be walking on roads, but on paths. I imagine Norton's book steers to to paths, but just so you know...the roads are winding and narrow, with no or little shoulder, and the drivers can be aggressive. There's a nice walking path along the river in Le Bugue, and one along the river in Les Eyzies, too, but I've never done more than a couple of miles on either, so I'm not sure how far they'd take you. And there's a great walking/bike path starting from Groléjac, but again, I've been on limited hikes. One of the Grande Randonnée paths goes right over the top of my house, and I've followed it for a few miles in several directions, but it's mostly through woods and rocky outcroppings, past the occasional farm, but you wouldn't see any "sites" on it.

England
reviews: 20
7. Re: Help me choose itinerary for walking tour in Dordogne

We last stayed in the Dordogne in July last year. A walking track to Cadouin started some 30 yards from our cottage. We walked part of it but it was exceptionally hot (truly stifling) so we retreated back to the coolness of our stone cottage and didn't walk it all. But the track was well signposted in yellow colours and away from the road.

I agree that to add to your book you could get some maps. There are 35 maps showing walking routes for different areas within the Perigord that you can buy from the local tourist offices for the very modest amount of about Euro 2.50 each map. You can also download most these walking routes from this website for free:

dordogne-perigord-tourisme.fr/fr/randonnee-p…

The site is in French (the English version is minimal) but the maps I have looked at have legends in both French and English.

I do recommend visiting one or more tourist offices anyway while you are there to get information on local events and sights to see that are often not in any guidebook or website. The people are usually very helpful, and especially in the Dordogne likely to speak good English.

8. Re: Help me choose itinerary for walking tour in Dordogne

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, March 11, 2015