We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arcachon to St jean de Luz

Which Bordeaux hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Salisbury
reviews: 8
Arcachon to St jean de Luz

We will be travelling from Bordeaux to St Jean de Luz by train in June and it appears that there will be quite a wait for our connecting train whatever time we go. The options for changing trains are Bordeaux or Facture. Is there much in the way of facilities at Facture Station or would we be better picking a train with a change at Bordeaux? Ideally we would want a station with a decent cafe where we could pass the time by having something to eat and drink. Also, can you leave the station where you change trains if you have a through ticket or do you have to stay within the station itself once you have 'composted' the ticket for the whole journey?

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Dordogne
reviews: 4
1. Re: Arcachon to St jean de Luz

I just tried a couple of random dates in April for Bordeaux to St-Jean-de-Luz and got nothing but direct trains. Where are you looking? I don't see a single run that involves a change of trains. And if you're starting at Bordeaux, why are you taking about "a change at Bordeaux?" You get on the train at Bordeaux - St-Jean - and get off about 3 hours later at St-Jean-de-Luz, as far as I can see looking at the schedules.

At any rate, there's no compunction to hang around the station on any train journey in France. You can go to a café, leave for lunch, go visit friends, or whatever you want between trains. No one has any idea where you are or what you're doing.

Bordeaux, France
Destination Expert
for Bordeaux
reviews: 1
2. Re: Arcachon to St jean de Luz

You'll want to try and avoid Facture if possible, if for nothing else than the fact that the major claim to fame for this little town is its huge wood-processing factory which emits a rather unpleasant odor which is strongly suggestive of certain bodily functions.

Other than that, there is really nothing interesting to see or do outside of the train station—or inside, for that matter. I'd stick with the Gare St. Jean in Bordeaux.

(Also, you don't have to worry about staying within the station after "composting" the ticket—you're just self-punching the ticket so that it can't be turned in for a refund as unused in the event that the train is especially crowded and the conductor doesn't get to you during the trip.)

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
reviews: 22
3. Re: Arcachon to St jean de Luz

it's annoying, but there are very few trains soutbound out of Facture that are suitable for a journey to St Jean de Luz. I did figure out these possible journeys but most are at pretty unwelcome hours. The trains take about 2 hours from Biganos - Facture to St Jean de Luz. These are regional trains with no reservations, no money to be saved by booking in advance and no on board facilities. And I agree that Facture is not a wonderful place to have to wait more than a short while, having done so myself.

Otherwise you will go through Facture to Bordeaux St Jean then some time later find yourselves coming back the other way (this time possibly at speed!) on your way to St Jean de Luz.

Check for yourselves at ter-sncf.com/Regions/…Default.aspx

Look for lines 32 and 61.

Arcachon leave 0633 arrive at Biganos Facture. 0654. Direct train to St Jean de Luz leaves there at 0710. Weekdays only

Arcachon leave 0733, arrive Biganos Facture 0754, train to St Jean de Luz leaves at 0811. Daily.

Arcachon leave 0903, Biganos Facture arrive 0924, leave at 1011 Sundays and Holidays only.

Arcachon leave 1233, arrive Biganos Facture at 1254, leave at 1312 Weekdays only.

Arcachon leave 1603, arrive Biganos Facture 1624, leave 1711 Saturdays, Sundays and Holidays only.

Archacon leave 1633, arrive Biganos Facture 1654, leave 1711 Weekdays only

There is also an 1833 out of Arcachon on weekdays with a connection south at Biganos Facuture but except on Fridays the journey south of Bayonne is by bus.

I hope that helps.

Edited: 12:02 pm, February 27, 2013
Salisbury
4. Re: Arcachon to St jean de Luz

So sorry - many apologies! Our journey is from ARCACHON to St Jean de Luz which is why we have to change trains.

Salisbury
5. Re: Arcachon to St jean de Luz

Many thanks to you all for that information and, once again, apologies for confusing some of you. We will definitely go for changing at Bordeaux, which is what I thought would probably be best and which you have all confirmed. If we have a bit of a wait we can go and find a cafe somewhere near the station. I gather from all your posts that we can come and go as we please - unlike a lot of our stations in the UK where your ticket gets 'eaten' by the machine as you leave the station!

Salisbury
6. Re: Arcachon to St jean de Luz

Also - many thanks to the 'Destination Expert' for the info on journeys via Facture. The 12.33 would definitely have been a possibility except that - wouldn't you know it! - we will be travelling on a Saturday.

7. Re: Arcachon to St jean de Luz

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 02, 2014