We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling from Roscoff to Bordeaux

Which Bordeaux hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin
Travelling from Roscoff to Bordeaux

Myself, my wife and our 1 year old are going to France in September. We are planning on getting the ferry to Roscoff and travelling down to the Bordeaux area to meet friends and rent a house for 1 week. This leaves us with 3 or 4 days either side of the rental to travel down and back up to the ferry. We are looking for any suggestions of places to stay for 1 or 2 days at a time to break up the journey. We are looking for smaller towns/villages, quaint hotels/b&b's with character etc.. Any help would be much appreciated.

Keith

Dublin, Ireland
reviews: 71
1. Re: Travelling from Roscoff to Bordeaux

You could try some of the camping companies - Keycamp or Canvas [these two have Irish contact numbers] and there are others, to see what accomodations [tents/mobile homes of different size/chalets] they have available in campsites. There are plenty sites on their websites both coastal and inland. The beauty of these is that you book all-in inclusive of the ferry. You can also book with a 'hole' in the holiday for when you visit you friends/rent. Or you could stay at a site near Bordeaux.

Dublin
2. Re: Travelling from Roscoff to Bordeaux

Thanks for the reply, I'll check out the 2 websites. I think my real problem is where to actually stay not so much the accommodation. Can you recommend any towns or villages that are worth stopping for a few day in. There are just so many its almost impossible to narrow down !

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
reviews: 38
3. Re: Travelling from Roscoff to Bordeaux

We've done this trip on a few occasions.

However we drove it straight and went on to Sarlat.

Cognac is a lovely area and you have the added advantage of being able to sample the local produce.

Off your route but lovely is the Crozon Peninsula (just south of Brest).

The town of Vannes is also lovely. Its a town on the sea with beautiful buildings and history.

I can't help you with B&Bs, sorry as we do the camping thing.

I haven't stayed with Logis Hotels but apparently they are smaller hotels that have more character http://www.logishotels.com/en/map-search.html They may be worth looking at.

Dublin
4. Re: Travelling from Roscoff to Bordeaux

Thanks for the suggestions.

Limerick, Ireland
reviews: 21
5. Re: Travelling from Roscoff to Bordeaux

Like Bean I have driven directly to Biscarrossse and Biarritz. It is not a hard drive however I would take advantage of a sleeping baby and make headway. The coastal region on that route is a bit featureless. I would suggest a night or two on the little island of Noirmoutier http://uk.ile-noirmoutier.com/ St. Emilion is a lovely world heritage village with great wine and is close to Bordeaux.

Essex
reviews: 71
6. Re: Travelling from Roscoff to Bordeaux

Here's a copy and paste of an old post I mase, that covers some options on the journey you plan. Geared more for 2 wheels, nevertheless, the places suggested might interest you:

<< The National Park of The Monts D'Arree in Brittany, has good 'riding' roads here and Roch Trevizel is an odd 'formation' to have a look at. Although it is a high point, it is near enough to the road to be able to park the steed and walk up in motorbike kit without killing yourselves!!:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monts_d'Arr%C3%A9e

The Parish Closes are unique-to-Brittany church enclaves that are worth a look. I stayed at the Hostellerie Des Enclos, which is right opposite to the Close in Lampaul-Guimilau and has a parking area that is safe enough for bikes (also good food and a very understanding landlord!)

logishotels.com/fr/hotel-Hostellerie-Des-Enc…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parish_close

Carnac would be my next 'stopover' with the Monoliths in the famous 'alignments'. There are many accommodation options, and it's worth spending a couple of nights here, plenty to see. This is where I stayed, again with a good (and unusual) restaurant, and decent enough parking for the Iron steed:

http://www.auberge-erdeven.fr/en/

Next 'useful' place that I have visited, that could be a good port of call for you is St Nazaire. I wanted to view the famous U-boat docks, which I did get to see, (ugly, but impressive!!) There are lovely beaches here though, and you might find yourself an Hotel on the seafront. I turned up 'late' one evening last September, with no reservation, but eventually found myself a safe haven in the chain hotel, I actually had a reasonably decent meal in their restaurant. These Hotels/Motels have tea & coffee making facilities in the rooms, which was most welcome, and plenty of safe parking, although it is a bit 'out of town' so not the easiest place for leaving the bike and your heavy 'gear' and going for a walk:

campanile-saint-nazaire-trignac.fr/en/index.…

La Rochelle is lovely to visit of course, although I have not stayed there, I have though, stopped past for lunch overlooking the sea at one of the great restaurants, and able to park the bikes 'right by' the place we chose gave a good sense of security.

Royan I have stayed at, again at aother Logis Hotel. It was a tiny Hotel, which did not have parking, BUT the proprietor helped me get my motorbike around the back and down a small 'jitty' into their back garden for safe overnight parking - how great is that?? Although I ate at this logis, there are some good restaurant options in Royan:

http://www.hotel-les-bleuets.com/

From Royan you can take a ferry across the mouth of the Gironde to Pointe de Grave, I have done this a couple of times with the old M-bike now and it is a nice journey (plus they serve 'killer' coffee on board). Last year I then took the smaller 'coast' and country roads through the Medoc down to Bordeaux. On a Michelin Map of the area you will find these roads highlighted in 'green' as scenic ones, they are!! This gave me a beautiful evening ride through the vineyards with some nice 'swinging' bends to take in and lots of amazing looking chateau and wine houses to ride past. I MUST GO BACK.

Unfortunately, when I got to Bordeaux, there was not a room to be had at the inn, anywhere - SO my last piece of advice is, if you want to stay in this interesting City, make sure that you book well ahead!!>>=

Hope this helps, and good luck! EW

Dublin
7. Re: Travelling from Roscoff to Bordeaux

Excellent thanks for that.

8. Re: Travelling from Roscoff to Bordeaux

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, May 22, 2013
Kildare, Ireland
reviews: 18
9. Re: Travelling from Roscoff to Bordeaux

We've stayed three times in Coulon. It's about 4.30hrs from Roscoff and a beautiful town. Surrounded by canals (mozzie free) with great places to eat and lots to see and do -especially by bike and on the traditional boats. V unspoiled. It's less than an hour from La Rochelle -well worth checking out.

10. Re: Travelling from Roscoff to Bordeaux

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 23, 2014