We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

manchester united vs chelsea soccer at stafford stadium

Which Manchester hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
manchester united vs chelsea soccer at stafford stadium

Which airport do I fly into that is close to the stafford stadium the game is on Saturday May 5, would like to fly in on Thursday and do some site seeing, suggestions where to stay upscale hotel would be nice celebrating husbands 50 bday! Never been so I really need help with Flights ( would like non-stop only if possible, husband hates to fly the faster we get there the better), Hotel, Restaurants, Things to do, would like to go to London as well if time permits. Suggestions on buying tickets to the game should i purchase on line through a vendor? Thank you.

Manchester, United...
reviews: 21
31. Re: manchester united vs chelsea soccer at stafford stadium

I just noticed you said you'd rather fly than get the train between London and manchester. I would advise you get the train up to manchester from London, its much easier from city centre to city centre to do this. The trains are pleasant, reasonably fast at 2-15mins, it's end to end and so you can't miss the stop as Manchester will be the last stop on this route. You'll also get chance to see some English countryside along the way and as you are travelling. Train travel in the UK is not like the US, its very common for us to travel between cities on the train and on a Saturday you'll be able to get a cheap upgrade to first class with free wifi, larger seats, free drinks etc.

On the way back I would fly from manchester direct into Heathrow, be careful when you book though that you chose the correct london airport for your connection home as there are 3 airports and if you need to make sure you fly into the correct one, probably LHR.

The reason for the train plane combo is that London airports are a long way from the city whereas Manchester airport is only 20mins either in a taxi or on by train.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
reviews: 39
32. Re: manchester united vs chelsea soccer at stafford stadium

Wholly agree - train much better from centre of London to Manchester - quicker end-to-end journey-time as well.

Takes ages to get from centre of London to Heathrow, then there's all the hassle of checkin or baggage drop, strict security checks can take ages, waiting around, boarding the plane, collecting luggage at arrivals,

Train is much better if your hotel is in centre of London - a no-brainer IMO.

UK
reviews: 89
33. Re: manchester united vs chelsea soccer at stafford stadium

I just noticed you said you'd rather fly than get the train between London and manchester. I would advise you get the train up to manchester from London,

------

In post 13 Gina says she plans to take the train from London to Manchester

Ayr, Scotland
reviews: 6
34. Re: manchester united vs chelsea soccer at stafford stadium

But in post 26 she says she'd rather fly. Think flying might work out a lot more expensive?

Boston...
35. Re: manchester united vs chelsea soccer at stafford stadium

Yes When in England we will cal lit Football, Thank you for the heads up!

Boston...
36. Re: manchester united vs chelsea soccer at stafford stadium

My updates: I like the idea of flying to London Heathrow, stay 2 nights in London (haven't booked hotel yet, looked at the Savoy very nice but a bit pricey, is there another property maybe in the $300.00 dollars range. going to take the train to Manchester, i like the idea to see the sights, then once in Manchester stay 1 or 2 nights depending if the game is on Saturday or Sunday. Flying out on Monday just in case. Fly from Manchester to Heathrow then to Boston. Thank you again, I love this site such a big help!!!

Boston...
37. Re: manchester united vs chelsea soccer at stafford stadium

Update: Booked the Savoy, and the Radisson Blu! booked British Airways. Now I need a creative way to tell my husband his surprise. Thank you all.

Manchester, United...
38. Re: manchester united vs chelsea soccer at stafford stadium

Enjoy the Savoy Gina, I'm sure you'll love it and your trip to Manchester.

Boston...
39. Re: manchester united vs chelsea soccer at stafford stadium

Well guess what? I just got an email the soccer game was changed to Sunday, May 5. kick off 4:00pm. SO I would like to stay another night in London area, Already staying at the Savoy for 2 nights. Any recommendations for Saturday night may a BB, I understand there are some beautiful ones there. Or should I just stay another night at the Savoy, though its very pricey. Suggestions. maybe near Buckingham Palace would love to to see the changing of the guards, etc. Shopping at Harrods. Thank you again, I take your advise and suggestions very seriously!

Manchester, United...
40. Re: manchester united vs chelsea soccer at stafford stadium

You could try the lastminute.com secret hotels and search in the area around Buckingham Palace. I had great deals for 5 star hotels in Mayfair from this. I ended up with the Intercontinental Park lane for 142 pounds....that said 3 nights at the Savoy wouldn't be a chore!