We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

advice on children friendly pubs and the sights

Which Manchester hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Edmonton, Canada
reviews: 9
advice on children friendly pubs and the sights

hello again;we are a canadian family of four--with kids aged 11 and 8.over the easter break we will be in manchester before we fly home to alberta.we are staying at the sas radisson at the airport(fancy-but comfy))we will either be taking the train into manchester central or taking a cab.I am quite sure that we won't be dining at this hotel(now I know that will be pricey)--so I would love some suggestions--for a pub-like atmostphere.it seems to be that the pubs offer the best meal values-so keep in mind where we will be staying-I need some recommendations.here's the rub;my kids are still fussy--fish and chips would be perfect--my wife eats only salads(maintaining you know) and I love curry---now that's a tough combination.I await your suggestions...the cabinman

Manchester, UK
reviews: 10
1. Re: advice on children friendly pubs and the sights

Just by the hotel/airport (as the crow flies) is Dunham Massey...a big National Trust country home which is well worth a visit (it's got scaffolding up at the moment but it's still a great spot). There's a cafe/restaurant there in the converted stables which is good.

But just nearby is Dunham village and a great pub, the Axe and Cleaver which is really good for the full range of dishes listed above. Not dirt cheap but very good value.

Also there's the Airport pub. This is just by the end of the runway (you'll have to get a taxi) and you can sit outside and watch the massive planes coming into land. There's OK food in there as well.

If you like curry then you really should go to Rusholme. It's like a theme-park for curry and there's absolutely loads of choice for fussy kids, but I can pretty-much guarantee that they'll have a taste for poppadums by the time you've finished. There's also the Great Kathmandu in Didsbury which is pretty close as well.

If you want to 'nip out' you could always get a taxi to places like Hale or Altrincham...loads of pubs to choose from.

UK
2. Re: advice on children friendly pubs and the sights

I just wanted to second the review of the Axe and Cleaver. The food is fantastic, home cooked and (I think) value for money! It is our local pub and we love it! Definitely worth a trip, especially on a spring day after a walk in Dunham Park.

You could also visit the Redhouse Tea Rooms which are about half a mile away from the Park also. They have won awards for their tea rooms. It is a farm that has been converted into a cafe and shop, selling 'Ye Olde English' produce. All the food is home made and the cakes and Millionaires Shortbread are to die for!!!

Have fun!

UK
3. Re: advice on children friendly pubs and the sights

From Manchester you can get to loads and loads of places by bus and train.

For example there is a town a few miles from Liverpool called Warrington this is where the original golden gates to Buckingham Palace are - the queen didn't like them or something.

Warrington is *5* mins by direct train from Manchester. Not that I'm saying you'd really want to go to Warrington, just highlighting how easy it is to navigate the N.W on public transport.

Manchester is also on the same rail line as Chester.

This means you can get a train to say Knutsford, Steven Speilburg filmed there once - (station right in the centre of town - lots of lovely places to eat on varying budgets.

Also the home of Tatten Park - country house x2, lake, deer, farm,etc.

The trains run both ways every hour and take about half an hour.

Knutsford is I'd say as a public transport user more directly accessable than Dunham.

On this line you can also visit the places already mentioned such as Altricham, Hale, Stockport etc.

:0)