We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Green Motion - Won't cost the Earth - just the customer dear

Which Manchester hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 1
Green Motion - Won't cost the Earth - just the customer dear

Green Motion Car Hire claims to not cost the Earth, possibly so, but it costs the customer dearly!

I rented a car from Green Motion, Manchester Airport over the Christmas holidays, paid up front, and then was told on arrival I had to pay a further 750 pounds seciurity deposit. I returned the car in good order, at 8am in the morning, left the keys in the deposit box as their office only opened at 9am. On returning to Australia, I checked my credit card account to find only 117 pounds returned. When I questioned this I was told there were 2 scratches on the car. They have shown me no proof of this, and I have now been dealing with head office for over a month. Seems lots of other customers have had similar experiences - check out the multitude of reviews on the web. Please be very careful - stick with the respected companies who show customers and the planet some respect! A very disattisfied punter Down Under :(

London, United...
reviews: 5
1. Re: Green Motion - Won't cost the Earth - just the customer dear

Send them a registered letter asking to see the check out form when you rented the car, the check out form for the immediate preceding rental and that for when the car was next rented. Compare these to see if the scratches were noted either before or after your rental. Ask to see the invoice of the repair to the car. In all probability they will be unable to provide these.

Abu Dhabi, United...
2. Re: Green Motion - Won't cost the Earth - just the customer dear

Dear Mike

We have exactly the same story!

can you give me any addresses of others who have been treated like this? we are pursuing our claim through the county court small claims division and would love evidence of others who have had the same treatment...especially from Manchester airport! if we can be of any assistance to you with your dealings, please let us know.

many thanks

Hugh

Abu Dhabi, United...
3. Re: Green Motion - Won't cost the Earth - just the customer dear

Dear Mike

We have exactly the same story!

can you give me any addresses of others who have been treated like this? we are pursuing our claim through the county court small claims division and would love evidence of others who have had the same treatment...especially from Manchester airport! if we can be of any assistance to you with your dealings, please let us know.

many thanks

Hugh

Edited: 1:35 pm, March 13, 2011
Nottingham, United...
reviews: 128
4. Re: Green Motion - Won't cost the Earth - just the customer dear

I used this company via a booking agent in December 2010. I turned up and they said about the 750 pounds deposit. They don't take an imprint of your credit card but actually take the money. I was alarmed by this as I have been renting cars for years and this seems a bit dodgy. I did ask them why and they said they have to security. I also noticed that their sign on the desk said if you got a traffic penalty they added another £150 admin. I handed the car back and they said my money would be returned within a week. I did get the money returned to my credit card. I had a lengthy conversation with the green motion manager and explained never again would i use this company due to its policies and their grasp to try and make money out of you ! I was not impressed in the slightest with their cocky attitude ! I didn't trust them at all and made sure that I checked the car before I agreed to pick it up in my name. I also made sure I got them to sign that I wouldn't be charged the excess. For a uk based company I was shocked at their ethos. I would never use them again.

Perth, Australia
reviews: 7
5. Re: Green Motion - Won't cost the Earth - just the customer dear

Dear Mike,

We had the same experience in August 2010.

Ultimately, we maintained really good records and then placed the transaction into a dispute with our credit card company as we didn't get all of our own deposit returned.

The credit card company were really good and embargoed the whole £750.00 transaction and that forced the company to respond.

It wasn't quite the happy ending as the credit card company gave us the money back as a good will gesture. As such, we didn't have the satisfaction that this dubious company did not retain the balance of our deposit.

We were advised by an individual at the credit card company that if enough people complain about the company, the credit card company would then stop letting the car hire company from taking VISA / MCARD / etc transactions. In this way, this will stop it trading.

Our advice would be to take it up as a dispute with the credit card company.

Amy

Bergen, Norway
6. Re: Green Motion - Won't cost the Earth - just the customer dear

I have had bad treatment from Green Motion too. They took the entire £750 from my credit card the day I returned the vehicle. I have disputed this and they are refunding it minus certain deductions. I am arguing the fuel charge they are deducting because the fuel gauge was definitely much higher than what they have marked off on the check in report. The whole operation is not to be trusted if they lie on the check in sheets.

The fact that they took the entire deposit and I had to argue with them to get it refunded is highly dodgy and I wonder if this is a certain practice to see just how many complain......... What if I had not complained, would they have refunded it? I doubt it.

Edited: 7:57 pm, March 17, 2011
Budapest, Hungary
7. Re: Green Motion - Won't cost the Earth - just the customer dear

Currently battling 1 month after a kept depoist. The manchester office is very hard to pin down and often make false promises. I see a pattern forming here. A seen a big scam on the horizon and i am watching my card very closely for new additions from around the world!

This franchise is owned by Blue Beacon Limited http://bluebeacongroup.com/ If this is their website then it is registered and working from India!

I was directed to these through EasyCar. I wonder how Stellios would feel about this 'organsiation'?

Ottawa, Canada
reviews: 4
8. Re: Green Motion - Won't cost the Earth - just the customer dear

I am pursuing a too-similar complaint with Green Motion (Heathrow). I agreed to the £750 deposit (reluctantly) and during my rental, put a dent the rear bumper. I was assured that they would provide the cost of repairs as I left for SE Asia. After repeated requests for it, the "estimate" for damage done included both repair AND replacement - and came to a whopping GBP919. I asked for the actual cost of repairs (as it was now 2 months later) and said I would agree to pay for either repair OR replacement -- but not both.

To date, after 3 months: no response.

Today I reported the incident to VISA's dispute offices and to the British Vehicle Rental and Leasing Association. I have also sent copies of the incident to Green Motion's founding director (whose address appears to be a country pub). The garage providing the estimate has a litany of complaints; as do the other car hire fronts operating from the same address.

My advice to anyone arriving into the UK would be to choose a reputable major brand car hire company and stay completely away from this organization (Green Motion and CarHireUK).

Budapest, Hungary
9. Re: Green Motion - Won't cost the Earth - just the customer dear

Update to my previous message about a held 750 deposit.

I have been refunded!!! It appears that good things can happen with a great deal of pressure!

Good luck to everyone else!

Edited: 1:31 am, March 29, 2011
Glasgow
reviews: 2
10. Re: Green Motion - Won't cost the Earth - just the customer dear

I have had the same problem. I rented a car from them in Manchester and they said they would return my security deposit of £150 and £20 petrol charge.... even though I filled the tank with the amount I picked the car up in.

They are now saying the petrol tank was empty and the car was scratched. How can companies legally operate like this... it is awful and unfair. Someone needs to do something!!!