We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

old trafford beam back for uefa cup final

Which Manchester hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
glasgow
reviews: 1
old trafford beam back for uefa cup final

hi anyone in manchester

hearing reports that man utd fc are going to open old trafford to accomadate the travelling rangers fans for uefa cup final to watch game on big screen any truth in this?

Manchester
1. Re: old trafford beam back for uefa cup final

Not heard anything here about it!

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
reviews: 8
2. Re: old trafford beam back for uefa cup final

It would be a great money-spinner at the expense of their biggest rivals, so why not? Haven't heard anything about it, though.

Don't count on it being on the big screen in the city centre after what happened at the 2006 World Cup, which was minor in comparison with having 200,000 Rangers fans in town :)

I reckon they'll put on a big screen near the stadium somewhere - there is plenty of wasteland space, and anything to make a bit of cash.

IRVINE, AYRSHIRE
3. Re: old trafford beam back for uefa cup final

I heard about this through a friend. It would be great for us travelling fans with no tickets in a controlled environment and much easier for the police too.

Hope it happens.

Diane

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
reviews: 78
4. Re: old trafford beam back for uefa cup final

I was listening to a report on this on local radio this morning, the up to date news is that there will be no big screen set up anywhere in Manchester. There will be fanzones in Piccadilly Gardens and Albert Square and pubs and bars will be open whilst the match is being played. Apparently there had been a rumour that bars and pubs would shut. No plans for a big screen showing at Old Trafford. I'm surprised Manchester United haven't cashed in on this.

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 49
5. Re: old trafford beam back for uefa cup final

Be interesting to see what affect a rumour about the pubs being closed has on the 3 million Rangers fans who are supposed to be descending on Manchester.

Invest more heavily in Buckie !!!!

glasgow
6. Re: old trafford beam back for uefa cup final

the eyes of the football world is going to be on manchester for uefa cup final and how stupid manchester city council are going to look for not providing any screens for travelling fans,probly be the last euro final that city gets.

the rangers fans are coming no matter what!!the city council decide to do,so they best start sorting something out because there will be a 100,000 rangers fans there whether they like it or not..

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
7. Re: old trafford beam back for uefa cup final

I heard another news report on local radio on the way home from work that some decision may be may re big screens over the weekend. If I hear any more I'll post. There was trouble in Manchester during the world cup when it was shown on big screens near the printworks and I think this might be making the council hesitant. My nephew was there at the time and he said it was "blown up out of all proportion".

glasgow
8. Re: old trafford beam back for uefa cup final

hi sue

hope the council does put up screens,if there is trouble it wont be from rangers fans,we have been to 18 countries with thousands of fans following their team to this final,without one single arrest,the rangers fans are coming to manchester hopefully for a party win or lose,celtic took 80,000 fans to portugal in their uefa final 5yrs ago,manchester isnt far away from glasgow so 100,000 gers fans will arrive.

thanks for your updates of whats happening in manchester for final

London, United...
reviews: 9
9. Re: old trafford beam back for uefa cup final

It would be a major balls up if Manchester did not erect large screens,Rangers are going to bring the largest following that any team has ever done to any match.

And with only about 30000 with tickets the other 70000/80000 are needing a place to watch, and the bars will not cope with their massive following.

I agree with the earlier post that Manchester will never be given another final if the overflow of fans are not catered for and it will also hit any other bid from English grounds in the future.

By chance I was in Athens for a week last May when AC Milan beat Liverpool and for 3 days prior the Greek authorites had 2 massive fan parks in Athens the main one in the original olympic stadium with 5 a side tournaments and guest appearnces from players like Zidane holding a skills school.

Rangers are going to be bringing millions of pounds into the city and deserve to be catered for.

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
10. Re: old trafford beam back for uefa cup final

I was watching the local news on television about an hour ago and Albert Square and Cathedral Gardens are going to be fanzones for the Rangers Fans and Piccadilly Gardens will be the fanzone for the opposing fans. Big Wig Pat Karney was being interviewed (pi££*ck) in my opinion, but I don't really want to get involved in political agruements, and reading between the lines I feel that the council will relent and show the match on big screens. Hopefully!