We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

another transport question

Which Manchester hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
ireland
another transport question

arriving in manchester airport fri. night next app. 9pm , staying in princess street for two nights with my 16yr old son . am i right in thinking the best mode of transport , and most reasonable , is to get the train to picadilly and then either taxi or walk to my hotel ?

how much roughly should this train ride cost and taxi also ?

should i get a return ticket for train for my return to airport on sun evening app. 9.30pm departure ? .

as recommended on this forum i will visit new emperor on georges st. , fus cafe , yang sing , sams chop house . good choices ?

any of these good for breakfast ?

m.e.n event not starting till app 5pm sat , what might we do after breakfast sat. morning and all day sun , departing airport app. 9.30pm .

any advice much needed and greatly appreciated !!

thanks

croomhorse

Manchester, UK
reviews: 10
1. Re: another transport question

The train station drops you off at Piccadilly which is a pretty easy walk to your hotel. You could get a taxi (I'd guess a fiver) but if you walk out of the train station (using the exit for the taxi stand) and then walk and sort of cross the road and walk up Whitworth Street, you'll get to Princess Street and the Atrium hotel within two minutes, tops.

I think I've recommended a few of those restaurant places so I'd obviously say they're good choices. Not too sure if they're open for breakfast but a few places in Chinatown are open so you might want to follow your nose. Chinatown is particularly good on Sunday lunchtime so that's a good option. To find Chinatown, simply turn left out of your hotel and it's a two-three minute walk.

There's also the Art Gallery (backs onto Chinatown) that's worth a visit. Good cafe and good exhibits but I'm not sure how much interest it would hold for a 16-year-old.

Old Trafford might be worth a visit on the Sunday. I'd avoid it on Saturday afternoon as they have a 5.15 kick-off against Boro.

Around Old Trafford there's also the Lowry (an arts centre) and the War Museum. There are also shops and cinemas. This area is a 15-20 minute tram ride away.

The city centre has cinemas (Cornerhouse, an arty cinema very near your hotel, and the AMC which is probably 10 min walk away).

Other than that, there are the normal shops and market-stalls most weekend.

manchester
reviews: 21
2. Re: another transport question

My teenager likes:

Afflecks Palace indy shopping emporium

Schuh

The Print Works

Others like Urbis Museum of City Living - sadly restaurant on top is now shut but cafe on ground floor. Free entrance so nothing lost if he doesn't like it.

I would go for light breakfast so you could get lots of value lunch opportunities. If you really want the best curry you will ever eat you can go to Soap Street off High Street - it looks like you are heading in the seediest back alley but the curry is the nearest to real home cooking you will ever find outside someones home and you will be hard pressed to spend more than 3.50 each. Its the curry equivalent of a really good local caff.

There are lots of chains along Albert Square opposite the town hall which is good if you want to leave him having a coffee while you stick your nose into a few shops.

Do take advantage of the free city circular mini buses you can catch at the station you will see all the city quite quickly.

If he is more active then try the Manchester Indoor Climbing Centre

Its an indoor climbing wall with a really nice atmosphere - Cafe here is brilliant. Its a converted church with climbing walls which seem about 50 foot tall. You can book a lesson with an instructor. You would need to get a bus or taxi as its about a mile out from town out to it. Mine were wowed out by this place. Its full of lots of cool trendy climbing types.

There is a concorde at the airport - which is open for viewing sometimes.

ireland
3. Re: another transport question

thanks very much NFmac and sevif great advice , just what i was looking for .

croomhorse

Cotswolds
4. Re: another transport question

Don't buy a return ticket - two cheap day singles (£2.80) work out less than a standard return (£6.80).

By all means buy the second ticket ahead of time if you want.

5. Re: another transport question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 am, August 30, 2009