We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

East Midlands Train from St. Pancras to Derby

Which Derby hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Antonio, Texas
reviews: 31
East Midlands Train from St. Pancras to Derby

I am planning a close connection on Oct. 3 from the Eurostar, arriving at 3:17pm, to an East Midlands train to Derby, leaving at 3:30pm. I have been told that the 2 trains are just 1 escalator ride up.

I can make the connection though I'll be slowed by my luggage, if I have my EM ticket in hand and know exactly where I'm going. I looked online to buy the ticket and believe that the online charge of $152 is more handling fee than ticket.

So, my questions--(a) is there a way to buy that ticket in advance at local prices and have it mailed to me and (b) is there a website where I can map out exactly my route from the Eurostar platform to the EM platform? There won't be any margin for error.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Dottie

Derby, United...
Destination Expert
for Derby
reviews: 45
1. Re: East Midlands Train from St. Pancras to Derby

You should have enough time, so long as your Eurostar arrives on time and you have no problems with passport control (isn't this sorted in Paris/Brussels anyway?).

Turn right out of arrivals and up one escalator and the EM Trains platforms are in front of you.

You can buy tickets online in advance from http://www.eastmidlandstrains.co.uk

Not sure if they will mail to you abroad or not, perhaps it will tell you on their website?

Dunfermline, United...
reviews: 39
2. Re: East Midlands Train from St. Pancras to Derby

And if your Eurostar train is a few minutes late arriving from Paris? Distinct possibility and personally I wouldn't chance it. Especially with luggage.

Where did you find that price for the Derby ticket? You can buy an advanced one way ticket for £48 or £86 walk-up on the day. Advanced tickets aren't available for October yet, they come on sale 12 weeks before departure so I suspect you are looking at BritRail or some other agent.

Trains are every 30 minutes so I would book a Derby train for around 16:25 when tickets are available and not before

Southport, United...
3. Re: East Midlands Train from St. Pancras to Derby

The present timetable doesn't show a 15.30 train it's at 15.25 which you wouldn't make.

Cotswolds
4. Re: East Midlands Train from St. Pancras to Derby

A walk on full fare ticket you can buy on the day is less than $158 so there's really no point in booking in advance at that fare

Though if they are selling you a full fare ticket anyway (sounds like it) it will be valid on later trains anyway if you miss the booked one.

London
reviews: 37
5. Re: East Midlands Train from St. Pancras to Derby

The advice on your other thread is to book Paris - Derby as a through ticket. This allows you to take a later train to Derby if the Eurostar is late.

Why the rush though? Book a train 30 minutes later and have a coffee.

San Antonio, Texas
6. Re: East Midlands Train from St. Pancras to Derby

Thanks to all !!!! What a huge help TripAdvisor Forums are!

OK, advice assimilated and taken--buy a through ticket fro Paris to Derby (the rush is that Eurostar prices go up July 17), plan on taking the later train and see if East Mildands will mail a ticket to the US, if not, to relatives in Europe and easily stroll from train to train with a stop for coffee, given the great directions for changing rail lines.

Peak District...
Destination Expert
for Derbyshire
reviews: 242
7. Re: East Midlands Train from St. Pancras to Derby

I have come in late on all the good advice so I will comment you will pass the Benugo coffee shop on the way. There are half a dozen other options around the station but this one is good quality and en route, if you have time.

Beware of the validity times for tickets. I had a really cheap Advance once only to arrive late for my train and be told it could not be used between about 3 and 6 pm. The Off Peaks are not valid between about 430 and 6 pm (there was a train at 4:27 which I did catch). Between about 430 and 6 going out of London you can only use full fare tickets. There is usually a link button on the websites which explains the ticket types and validity times.

San Antonio, Texas
8. Re: East Midlands Train from St. Pancras to Derby

Thanks so much!

I live in Texas where trains are mostly for freight or are miniature ones for kiddie rides. Ya'll are giving me an education on the nuances of travel by a relatively unfamiliar means.

Peak District...
Destination Expert
for Derbyshire
reviews: 242
9. Re: East Midlands Train from St. Pancras to Derby

I remember the excitement I had when taking Amtrak from Saratoga Springs, NY to Montreal, despite the slow speed. I wanted to hear that wonderful whistle !

I hope you get as much enjoyment from our trains as I did from yours. It was a step up for me when I started international train travel in Europe but I got used to it. The Eurostar experience is very like short-haul air travel, but with a view out of the window.

I didn't mean to scare you about the ticket validity if you book with Eurostar as a through journey Paris to Derby you will probably get given a ticket you can use anytime.

Southport, United...
10. Re: East Midlands Train from St. Pancras to Derby

I believe you could collect the tickets at either Paris/Brussels whichever is your departure point.

Edited: 3:29 pm, July 10, 2012