We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do for a weekend in Harrogate?

Which Harrogate hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Northwich
reviews: 9
What to do for a weekend in Harrogate?

Hi,

I've got a KGB deal to stay in Harrogate for two nights coming up, and can't wait :) It'll be a *much* needed romantic/chillax-y break!

We've never been before, though we've been told its lovely and - I was wondering: what's great to do / not to be missed centrally; within walking distance of King's Road (where our hotel is)?

The one thing I have booked is the Turkish Baths, and I was planning to pop into Betty's for a snack/lunch or similar (decided against pre-booking afternoon tea).

Also, is there anything that is really worth us driving out to? We're arriving Friday afternoon, and will leave Sunday morning.

We have one meal in the hotel in with the KGB deal, but would love restaurant recommendations for the other evening. We're quite adventurous and love all sorts of food, but would prefer it if mains were no more than around £10, let's say, as money's a bit tight!

Thanks so much for any help you can give :)

Essex
reviews: 71
1. Re: What to do for a weekend in Harrogate?

You can't pre-book for Bettys.

In the daytime you queue and wait with everyone else, for lunch or tea.

However, they are open in the evening until arond 9pm-ish, and it is very pleasant in there for an evening meal when all the crowds have gone home after their shopping. That is when I went, and it was not mad busy at all.

I had a very nice evening meal here, too, where they also have live jazz on some evenings (if you like the sound of it, I would book)

http://www.harrogatebrasserie.co.uk/

And if you like live music in the evening after dinner, try here, Jed Thomas can really play!!!

http://www.bluesbar.co.uk/

Harrogate is a nice place to just walk around. Lovely buildings to admire, a nice Park, lots of greensward, just worth spending all your time there, and relaxing IMO

harrogate.gov.uk/tour/…Enjoy-Harrogate.aspx

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
reviews: 57
2. Re: What to do for a weekend in Harrogate?

You can book for Bettys! Afternoon tea at the weekends, in the town centre branch.

What are your interests? I can't advise on things for you to drive out to see unless I know that. For instance Fountains Abbey is a World Heritage Site within easy reach of Harrogate and amazing - but if you aren't interested in such things then you won't agree.

I lived in Harrogate for over 20 years and our favourite restaurant was (and remains) Orchid, however this will blow your budget. Have a look at Deano's Graze and Grill. It's unassuming from the outside, but it's an excellent little place, friendly staff and great food.

http://www.grazeandgrill.co.uk/

There's a Bettys in town, but also another one a couple of miles out at some beautiful gardens called Harlow Carr. There's an entry fee if you wish to visit the gardens, a lovely place on a nice Spring day. I prefer this Bettys as it's really light and spacious with huge picture windows overlooking the gardens.

www.bettys.co.uk/bettys_harlow_carr.aspx

They do breakfast, brunch, lunch and afternoon tea.

Edited: 4:36 pm, February 24, 2013
Northwich
3. Re: What to do for a weekend in Harrogate?

I'd been looking at this:

http://www.bettys.co.uk/afternoon_tea.aspx

But decided it was too much of a luxury so had opted to queue as we did in York :) I hadn't considered going later on, thank you!

Great recommendations and advice thanks, it all sounds really lovely, wish I was there already. And yes we love live music, that sounds brill, will look at the link you've posted!

4. Re: What to do for a weekend in Harrogate?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 4:47 pm, February 24, 2013
Essex
reviews: 71
5. Re: What to do for a weekend in Harrogate?

Ah, see that on the website, Bettys do indeed take advanced bookings for Afternoon Tea. I was asking to book for the evening though, when I called in (at the week-end).

I was told they did not take bookings - overall, they were not necessary - it was not especially full, even on a Saturday night.

I misinterpreted this to mean they did not take bookings at all, sorry!

Northwich
6. Re: What to do for a weekend in Harrogate?

Well, we like anything beautiful and relaxing I suppose :) And food, lots of food and drink! ;)

For example, York is one of my favourite places, the Minster was just amazing, and the general feel of the place is just so full of character! We like light shopping but it's not our focus (definitely not designer), I suppose most things we do centre around soaking up the local spirit, a good meal, maybe a relaxed bar. We do like pretty gardens too!

Normally I'd avoid driving anywhere from base if at all possible, but I don't want to miss anything brilliant :) We're not very active types, if that helps ;) (unless you count gigging, which isn't quite the pace we're after for this one!)

Fountains Abbey actually looks beautiful, I'll have to show that to my fiance and see what he thinks :)

I have to say the Harlow Carr gardens look lovely, I wonder if it's worth combining that with Betty's there rather than town?

Very very tempted by Deano's Graze & Grill!

Thank you :) (even more excited now, this is going to get me through work this week!)

Northwich
7. Re: What to do for a weekend in Harrogate?

Ok. my fiance is totally hooked on the idea of Deano's, just showed him the menu... result, thank you! :)

United Kingdom
reviews: 107
8. Re: What to do for a weekend in Harrogate?

Hello,

If possible leave the car at your hotel and walk.

See below.

Saturday street parking a few minutes away is v v expensive in our opinion if you can find it and time limited. We would also avoid the shoppers' car parking.

Spa treatment is what time? Saturday is built around that appointment.

You might not want to leave town centre afterwards!

Tea-room suggestion .

http://www.jennysteashop.co.uk/

Agreed that RHS Harlow Carr, which is amusing/beautiful/romantic should be considered.

rhs.org.uk/Gardens/…About-Harlow-Carr

Take the bus (20 minutes) from the railway station

www.harrogatebus.co.uk/times.jsp?routeID=38

then for Saturday early dinner, perhaps,

In town, but make sure you map location!

www.led2.co.uk/new%20early%20evening.htm

Up to you both. Don't know Deanos.

Just our personal experience and ideas

Have fun

Northwich
9. Re: What to do for a weekend in Harrogate?

Understood regarding the parking, thank you :)

Actually we are going to the baths on the Friday, and I think we'll have a late dinner afterwards at the hotel :)

Very useful info regarding the bus, thank you so much!

Edited: 5:52 pm, February 24, 2013
Plymouth
reviews: 28
10. Re: What to do for a weekend in Harrogate?

Knaresborough is a very attractive old town on a river and only a short train ride away