We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 nights co Wicklow, driving and hiking

Which Wicklow hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Galway, Ireland
reviews: 75
2 nights co Wicklow, driving and hiking

Hi guys,

i m planning to spend couple days away with my wife..

the week end after Paddys.. I ll be probably able to leave Galway around 4pm on Saturday, driving towards the est... haven t decided yet where to stay (please advise!.. B&B or hotel)

we are coming back on Monday night (probably I ll have to stop in Kildare Village.. for some shopping!)

I m looking to spend some quite time. A scenic drive and be able to park the car and go for a walk/hike.

The idea is to visit Wicklow (my 1st time) and the Gap (R756 from Hollywood to Laragh), stopping in Glendalough.. Can I do it all on a Sunday? (not sure about the Sally Gap)

thanks

Edited: 6:17 am, March 12, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
reviews: 71
1. Re: 2 nights co Wicklow, driving and hiking

Suggest you stop in Blessington or Ballymore Eustace on saturday evening as by that time it will be dark and you wont enjoy the spin up the R758 and Wicklow Gap. You can google B&Bs in and around that area. On Sunday morning take the 758 to towards Laragh and go into Glendalough. This drive is doable from Blessington in about an hour - taking your time. A good hike is the Spinc [White route] which takes you up and over the head of the valley and back through the miner's village. 3h30m/9km. Lunch in Laragh or bring a flask & sandwiches!. From Laragh head towards Roundwood [20mins drive] and beyond the village watch out for the R759 which will take you up and over the Sally Gap. At the Sallp Gap turn left and take the R115 which will bring you back to Laragh. this drive will take about 2hrs allowing for a few scenic stops [Lough Tay and the Glenmacnass Waterfall]. Head back to your B&B for dinner at about 7pm. That leaves you free for shopping on Monday! BTW, hopefully the weather will have improved sufficiently by next weekend. Snow can lie on the high ground, so don't attempt the Sally Gap if the present cold snap continues into next week. Enjoy!

2. Re: 2 nights co Wicklow, driving and hiking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, March 14, 2014