We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One night in Co. Sligo in small town.

Which Sligo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
CHARLOTTE
reviews: 91
One night in Co. Sligo in small town.

Two of us will be driving from just north of Donegal Town down to the Achill Island and would like to spend the day and one night in a small town which has some good hiking nearby. I have looked at the Drumcliff area. First, how much time is needed to drive from Donegal Town to the Achill? I would prefer to spit the drive in half and stay one night as stated above. We are not into museums, art, etc, just like nature and some good hiking. Any suggestion on a good B&B or a nice quaint town with a good B&B and a good restaurant for dinner would be most appreciated. Thanks, Frank in NC USA

Dublin
reviews: 6
1. Re: One night in Co. Sligo in small town.

Donegal Town to Achill Island is about 130 miles or 3 hours drive. If you want to stop en route, the area around Drumcliffe is very beautiful, particularly around Benbulben a nearby mountain. I don't know about local B&Bs in Drumcliffe but there should be a good choice of places to stay and eat in Sligo Town which is only about 5 miles beyond Drumcliffe.

Beyind Sligo Town, you have a choice of routes to Achill. The main road (N17/N5) goes via Charlestown and Castlebar but there options to travel via the north coast of Mayo which is (from memory - I have not been there in years) somewhat wild and windswept but worth a detour. There may be some good hiking around the Nephin Mountains which are not far from Achill.

Sligo, Ireland
reviews: 114
2. Re: One night in Co. Sligo in small town.

Drumcliffe is an area rather than a village & is situated at the foot of Benbulben Mountain.There is a large choice of B&Bs in this area ,a great restaurant Davis"s(yeats tavern)in Drumcliffe and another called Lauras in the nearby village of Carney.This is a beautiful scenic area & a good stop if you want to climb Benbulben.This climb should only be done by experienced climbers & always ask for local knowledge for climbing routes.

Otherwise continue for another 10 miles to the seaside village of Strandhill.Plenty of B&Bs & good restaurants,& a more leisurely hike of the nearby Knocknarea with beautiful views from the historic cairn on top.You can check these areas on www.discoversligo.com.

Also if your travelling to the area around Achill you should definetly check out Delphi Mountain Resort,nature at its best.

CHARLOTTE
3. Re: One night in Co. Sligo in small town.

Thanks guys for all your information. I am most appreciative. Frank

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
reviews: 38
4. Re: One night in Co. Sligo in small town.

Another alternative would be to head to Blacklion which borders Cavan, Leitrim and Fermanagh. Located at the foot of the Cuilcagh mountain range where there are several hiking trails and interesting places to explore apart from the spectacular views over the neighbouring counties. The 'Shannon Pot' and Cavan burren is a popular place to visit, where Irelands longest river rises from the ground also nearby is the magnificent Marble Arch caves now a world recognised geopark.

Blacklion is also home to one of Irelands top chefs Neven Maguire, and his McNean House and restaurant has received many recommendations on this website.

Earth
5. Re: One night in Co. Sligo in small town.

Recommend Yeats Lodge in Drumcliffe. http://www.yeatslodge.com/

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
reviews: 38
6. Re: One night in Co. Sligo in small town.

Drumcliffe is a nice area but as far as I am aware there are no restaurants in the locality. Also the main visitor attraction Lissadell House is presently closed to visitors pending a court case.

Earth
7. Re: One night in Co. Sligo in small town.

Cavan, There is indeed a restaurant in Drumcliffe. It is Yeats Tavern. I have eaten there many times. It has very good food and atmosphere: http://www.yeatstavernrestaurant.com/

CHARLOTTE
8. Re: One night in Co. Sligo in small town.

Hello guys: I am open to suggestion about where to stay for one night. We will be driving down from Donegal toward 2 days on Achill. I just want to stop in a small town along the way which has a good hiking possibility (prefer a mountain setting if possible) and a good B&B with a good restaurant. nearby. I know nothing of Ireland so you Irish posters are most appreciated. Frank Harrington

Earth
9. Re: One night in Co. Sligo in small town.

Well what about Westport? You could climb the Reek. There are plenty of good B&Bs and restaurants there. Also Matt Malloy's pub.

CHARLOTTE
10. Re: One night in Co. Sligo in small town.

We're staying there for 3 nights. Want to have a little diversity. More suggestions? Thanks.